No playing around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Got another load of ash in short order tonight. I'll get it split tomorrow eve and get two more loads over the weekend.............shooting for two cords by the following weekend

Attachments

• Publication1.jpg
    Publication1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 119
Rounds that big are going to make some real nice splits.
Looking good.

Welcome to the forum Tim.....I can see you are going to fit right in. We drool over pictures of wood. ;lol Oh, make sure we see the finished product. We're waiting.>>

Very cool. I have some rounds of maple that are similar in size. How to do you plan to split that, by maul or splitter? If by maul, what is the best way to tackle those big boys?

Very cool. I have some rounds of maple that are similar in size. How to do you plan to split that, by maul or splitter? If by maul, what is the best way to tackle those big boys?
Ash will probably split no matter where you hit it, but if it's tough I always used to start at the edges and whittle it down. That is before I got old and had to buy a hydraulic splitter.;)

I hear ya chief. My cousin just texted me and very randomly asked me if I want to borrow his splitter to which I replied, "are you here with it yet" I got my work cut out for me sunday. gotta work saturday.

I hear ya chief. My cousin just texted me and very randomly asked me if I want to borrow his splitter to which I replied, "are you here with it yet" I got my work cut out for me sunday. gotta work saturday.
I was looking at your stove pic and just wondered why the 2 short, 6" sections just above the stove adapter. Looks like you could have brought the adjustable all the way down to the stove adapter......just curious. Steve Oh, forgo to say, very warm and inviting looking hearth....would love to sit there a spell.;)

Katwillny, I've got a pile of knotted rounds that is going to take a splitter, but I will have this wood hand split with a maul in about an hour. Now I'm looking for ash trees. lol
Chief, I'll show you my piles after I get this bit split.

agreed, ash will split nicely with a maul or splitter. If you can't get the maul to sink in through the middle start on the sides.

Good for you Tim. I hope you can get 10 cord of that.

Chief, pictures are not that good but here is a shot of mostly last year oak and on the skids this years oak. Going to burn it later
Got a craving for ash at the moment

Attachments

• oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 101
  • this year.jpg
    this year.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: tfdchief
Lookin good Tim. I just cut a load of red oak and ash today. Welcome aboard too. Everybody here likes pictures and we all suffer from "farwood fever" ......that is the wood burners on here. I think there are some pellet related illnesses present also.

Looks like a good addition to the collection, Tim. I think ash is the easiest to split of any wood scrounge unless it has big knots. Black locust comes in as a close second and dries almost as fast. Always glad to bring home some ash. Nice score!

Gark, you can add soft maple to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.