No power thanks to Alfred.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManDan

Mar 6, 2011
Scotland,CT
Well I now have the stove running via generator. We were at 100% without power now down to 67%.

FireManDan said:
Well I now have the stove running via generator. We were at 100% without power now down to 67%.

Sooooooo.... uh......is this , like, ummmmmm...... I don't know............Hurricane Alfred??????

Winter storm Alfred! There's little snow maybe 2 inches at the most. What happens when we live in the woods.

And I imagine that "We were at 100% without power now down to 67%." means you got some of the dilithium chrystals recharged. Pardon my country- bumpkinness, we ain't got a lot of them newfangled things around here. No offense intended.

About 6 inches of snow here! ONly had some flickers, Keeping my fingers crossed. Looks like I'll be blowing white crap tomorrow.

Was hopping to go looking at new cars too!

j-takeman said:
About 6 inches of snow here! ONly had some flickers, Keeping my fingers crossed. Looks like I'll be blowing white crap tomorrow.

Was hopping to go looking at new cars too!

My wife's uncle just lost power out your way, hope you don't. Hang in there!!!

Lights were flickering, but has been OK for a couple hours. Have the stove cranking in case we lose power. The dog's not happy about that. We do not have a generator and have not lost power in the winter for 3 years. I know my luck will run out at some time. We do have a kerosene heater if we need it. Still in the box from last winter during one of those storms of the century.

Looks like the wind settled a bit. Had to go out and brush off the snow on the sat dish. There is easily 8 inches out there! I honestly can't remember if we ever had this much in October before?

I haven't filled the wood eater in 4 years(might have forgot how) so we dicided to do some baking(umm pie and turkey). Smells like the holidays around here! Jacked the stat up to 76ºF to buy us some time if it does go out. I doubt we will get cold and I know we will be a few pounds heavier! ;-)

Had lots of flickers here but still holding on. Have the genny ready and the stove....and now tv and DirecTV hooked up to the UPC. Hope that estimated run time is acccurate :ahhh:

Makers Mark
Mozzarella sticks
Generator
Pellet stove
Satellite tv

lots of snow and
Good to go

Plenty of bottles of brew in the larder.
Fuel and genny.
Food.
Car in the garage
Stove is running
Plenty of pellets
Plenty of tp

I wonder how Pete is doing?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Plenty of tp
I wonder how Pete is doing?

I knew I forgot something!

Don't know about pete, He hasn't been on as much lately. Must be working hard(for a change! ;-P )!

have about 8 inches here, and still falling. I lost power for about 3 hours, but my battery back up worked until I got the Gennie goin. It is flickering now as I write this.

Not much accumulation here.. and inch or 2. but it's 34* out, so its heavy, wet and tearing trees down like crazy. I had to save my smaller trees twice already.

391769_10150375121985606_501130605_8222087_2071541801_n.jpg

The weight is just too much.

Power's been surging all night. Most of the city is out, but i'm not. I have under-ground power in my hood, so it's a big help in storms like this where downed lines are the issue.

I shoveled the drive once already. it's heavy slush stuff. would rather do it 3/4 times than all at once in the morning.

lots of cracking in the woods.

have a big top of a tree down in my back yard (didn't happen till after dark, so no pics). It's the last "V" to the top and all those branches it looked like. Hit my fence too :/ We'll have to see what dammage there is, if any tomorrow.

For now, i'm warm :)

Power has been out since 4. Running the stove on genny. House is at 76 :) will unplug in an hour and sleep warm.

Power flickering about 14 inches of snow. Still coming down hard. I guess pumkin picking is out for tommorow. My chickens aren't happy

Don't forget to use your Surge protector, when hooked up to a generator. They tend to ruin circuit boards easily.
Had it happen to a $1200 frig. Also my craftsman cordless battery charger warns not to recharge batteries by a generator, for the same reason!

Hello

We lost power at 8:07 PM here in Salem Nh. First time since that big ice storm a few years ago! So this is a bad storm for sure! All we got now is the HeatNGlow fireplace to keep us warm!

Woke up to a chilly house this morning. Topped of the geny and have the stop starting up right now. Im about to set the coffee pot up I need coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.