No power - will stove run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gvdan

Jan 5, 2008
northern CA
Our power is out and a nieghbor has a pellet stove. Would it be okay to still start the pellet stove even though the blower will not work since the power is out?

TIA

Craig, You have no imagination... a coffee can full of pellets in the burn pot and some charcoal lighter fluid...

gvdan- I am kidding here. Don't try this, you will end up with a house full of smoke. Power is absolutely needed to run the stove.

I was going to suggest that he go ahead and try it just to be a turkey but then I remembered that some stoves are manually ignited and that that would be a smokey mistake. A small generator of 1000 watts or less would keep the stove running. Heck, a 2000 watter should allow you to keep the fridge cold too and maybe fire up the computer.

No backup power = no pellet heat when the grid cuts out.

Okay thanks for all of the help. I will try the charcoal lighter fluid.

No. Just kidding. Our power is back on now so all is well. Thanks for the help. I learned something about pellet stoves.

I experienced this first hand when the neighbor's tree came down and took out the power line on New Year's Day. I have a generator, but it's not automatic and by the time I got it fired up the room where the pellet stove is had become smokey. It wasn't too bad because the stove was only running on level 2 and I got the generator running fairly quickly. I know that if I had some vertical vent pipe, smoke in the house wouldn't have been a problem, I just haven't gotten around to putting out the money for a Tee and 15' of pipe. A battery backup from WalMart would only set me back about $50 and accomplish about the same thing so I may do that.

We have a Mt Vernon, and purchased the cord which allows the use of a battery should the electricity go out. However, does anyone know if this will power the blower as well, or just the auger to drop pellets. I know the manual states that manual ignition is needed, but it is not clear on the use of the blower.

It will run your whole stove except the auto ignition. It will run longer before it autocleans using the battery, but after it does clean you will have to manually light it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.