No seasoning for this load!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Cut a bunch of dead barkless elm today. No seasoning needed for this stuff! Bone dry.

20140503_160316.jpg 20140503_161013.jpg

That is the stuff I love to get my hands on, trouble is it's usually rotting if it has sat that long.

How was it laying to keep from getting punky?

I would say to be that dry with no rot it had to be dead standing, or else it was hung up, definitely doesn't look like it was on the ground.

Also, curious how you pegged the I.D. as elm, whenever I encounter a tree in that shape I have a heck of a time with wood I.D. Was there just enough bark left to tell?

I have several standing dead red oaks that I have been meaning to get to for the past 2 years. Hope I have the same luck with the condition of the wood as you did. Nice haul!

Nice grab! Can't beat "ready to go" wood! :cool:
I would say to be that dry with no rot it had to be dead standing, or else it was hung up, definitely doesn't look like it was on the ground. Also, curious how you pegged the I.D. as elm, whenever I encounter a tree in that shape I have a heck of a time with wood I.D. Was there just enough bark left to tell?
Slippery (Red) Elm seems to hold up pretty well, even if it has been on the ground for a while. There's hardly any sapwood, so I think he got that out of the woods. I'm pretty sure that's what he's got there, judging by the bark I can see and the color of the end grain. A split pic might confirm the rosy color and you would see some stringiness but not as much as American Elm, from what I understand. I haven't seen American here, just Red, so I don't know how hard it is to tell the two apart. I see Red BTU listed quite often at 21.6...not too shabby. ==c
I have several standing dead red oaks that I have been meaning to get to for the past 2 years. Hope I have the same luck with the condition of the wood as you did. Nice haul!
The heartwood holds up well, although the sapwood might be spotty. Once I get this dead Ash stacked that I need to get dry this summer, I'm going after a backlog of dead Red Oaks, maybe eight or ten, that are lying or standing out there. I've also got one Red Elm that the bark fell off of a couple of years ago, similar to what Bwhunter's got above. Biggest one I've seen here, at about 19" of so.

005_zps9451a1ff.jpg

Last edited:
That is the stuff I love to get my hands on, trouble is it's usually rotting if it has sat that long.

How was it laying to keep from getting punky?

Most of this was surprisingly on the ground. Only ran into a few trees that were rot. This is red elm, seems to hold up real good from rot. Others were hung up and standing, So i just pulled those down with the truck. :)Have 10-20 more dead standing to pull down and buck that are hung up.

That is some nice wood there. I have a lot of dead elm. Wait 2 years or so until white with the bark off, cut and almost ready to burn in less than a year. The lower trunk has some moisture, but the upper branches usually are pretty dry.

I see your back windows. Reminds me of the time I threw a piece of wood in my dad's truck and it bounced off the bedliner going thru the window. I will never forget the look on his face.

I see your back windows. Reminds me of the time I threw a piece of wood in my dad's truck and it bounced off the bedliner going thru the window. I will never forget the look on his face.
I've come too close to doing that myself. Time to put up some heavy mesh there.

Status
Not open for further replies.