No smell and now not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kykel

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
long Island
Well after finally eliminating the smell I finally sat down to relax and enjoy the oil free heat. Wife comes down stairs and says its freezing up stairs. Turns the stove up to 5 complains that the stove isnt very hot and goes up stairs. Half hour later I go to check and the stove is on, no flame and auger not turning. Pulled the stove out this morning ( cant remember how many times at this point) took apart the auger motor and assembly. Removed and cleared the jam and re installed. turn stove on and motor goes on but auger still not turning. Removed the two wires from the auger motor and jumped with a extension cord. Motor and auger turn just fine. Re connected turned on stove and auger doesnt turn. Had enough. Called dealer. Ive spent more time working on this stove than I have burning it. Its brand new and havent burned a full bag yet. At this rate I should be able to go three years without cleaning. Very upset If you cant tell by my rambling

IMHO the smoke issue wasn't the stoves fault! That should go on the installer. Just saying. Better to get a bug or glitch out of the way now before the real cold sets in. I'm sure it something simple.

Do you want help with trying to work thru this?

j
The smoke was enviros fault. I would say bad quality control. They didnt silicone all the way around the exhaust housing flange.

I installed and found the problem.

In any event if you have any ideas Ill give it a try. The only thing I can think of is a vacuum switch or the vacuum hose being cloged but keep in mind new stove with less than a full bag burned.

I'm thinking something like the damper isn't out far enough. It can effect the vacuum switch. Was it set up with a magnahelic gauge?

Lets find out if its the vacuum switch first. I would try jumping it after you unplug of coarse.

Just in case here is a list from the tech manual on cause's of no auger.

Unit is on but auger motor does not turn at all.
• Check the line fuse to see if it has blown.
• Check the Door and Ash Pan door - THEY MUST BE CLOSED TIGHT.
• If the Auger gear box does not turn but the motor’s armature does try to spin, then the auger is
jammed. Try to break apart jam by poking at the jam through the drop tube. If this fails then empty
the hopper and remove the Auger Cover **Remember to re-seal the cover after installation**
• Auger stopped running. Pinch, break or blockage in Vacuum Hose - Check hose for pinch points or
damage, replace or re-route as required. Blow out Vacuum Hose and intake pipe.
• Damage to wires between Circuit Board and Vacuum Switch and Auger Motor - Inspect wires and
connectors.
• Vacuum Switch failure - Bypass the vacuum switch, if this corrects the problem check for above
problems before replacing the Vacuum Switch.
• Blocked exhaust / venting system - Have stove and venting cleaned and inspected.
• Check Vacuum levels at the Vacuum Switch, with a Magnahelic Gauge (readings must be above .07â€
W.C. on low fire).

Keep us posted!

A crimped, cracked, or plugged vacuum line or plugged barbs or if the vacuum switch is a dual port vac/pressure switch having the vacuum line on the wrong port.

If the auger actually turns but delivers no pellets the auger can be tunneling because it isn't properly seated in the flight.

Several stoves also have high temperature switches that need to be reset if tripped and some of them even lock that function out after so many trips. A tripped high temperature switch will stop the auger system.

J
I dont know where the vacuum switch is. I cant see it anywhere with the stove installed. Im not lookin forward to pulling it out again If i dont have to.

smokey
the stove seemed to burn fine with a good flame. Only the auger is not turning. Does the hi temp switch shut the auger only off because the auger motor runs?

kykel said:
smokey
the stove seemed to burn fine with a good flame. Only the auger is not turning. Does the hi temp switch shut the auger only off because the auger motor runs?

It shuts off power to the motor.

It sounds like you have a loose coupling if the motor is turning, the auger itself is not and there is nothing jamming the auger.

Shouldn't need to take the stove out. Remove the left side facing the stove and follow the 2 gray wires.

Couple of pictures so you know what to look for!

Attachments

• 50-1390_photo1.jpg
    50-1390_photo1.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 293
  • 50-1390_photo4.jpg
    50-1390_photo4.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 309
If I unplug the two feed wires to the motor and jump it out with an extension cord the motor and auger both turn

Then you are not getting enough voltage from the controller to fully power the auger motor.

What voltage are you getting at the auger?

J
Found it. Mine is on the right side behind the( sister board i believe) Do i jump this and if so do i connect the two wires together or do I connect the two terminals

kykel said:
J
Found it. Mine is on the right side behind the( sister board i believe) Do i jump this and if so do i connect the two wires together or do I connect the two terminals

Connect the 2 wires together. I'd use 2 male quick terminales and a short wire. Please do this with stove unplugged JIC. Plug the stove back in and hit start. If it goes we need to find whats the vacuum fault?

EDIT:
JIC while you have it unplugged I'd also check the hi limit switch. Open hopper remove the panel on top. Its right under it. Push the little red button between the 2 wires. If it was tripped you will hear a click.

the limit switch wasnt triped and i jumped the vacuum switch and no change

Was the fuse OK?
Also, you mentioned an auger jam. I've never had one with my M55. If it truly was jammed, maybe the fuse blew because it sounds like everything else is good.

Got to be the fuse, a loose molex connector, or a bad control panel. It can't be getting power to it.

Unplug and Check the fuse first. Then remove the jumper to the vac switch. Fire it up and see if you have power to both sides of the switch with a meter. If there is no power and the fuse is good. Shutdown unplug and look for the molex connecter that plugs into the control board. Check the wires and make sure the connector is clipped tight to the board. I have seen wires come out of the connector as well. Push each wire back towards the connecter. Plug it back in and see if she goes.

Last but not least is the board. :red: I'll be upset right along side you.

flynfrfun said:
Was the fuse OK?
Also, you mentioned an auger jam. I've never had one with my M55. If it truly was jammed, maybe the fuse blew because it sounds like everything else is good.

Thats what I'm thinking fuse. Auger jam and draw too much current. Hope he has a spare.

J-
Don't want to change the subject...but I noticed in your post above, Enviro says to re-seal the auger cover plate if you take it off. I did not do this last year when I had mine off. I saw no reason to. Can you shed some light on why they say this?

When I turn on the stove the lid is open. when I put the lid down you can clearly hear the auger motor go on. open lid motor stops close lid motor goes on. I assume the fuse is for the motor so why does it run and auger not turn? There is no jam because if you jump it out they both run fine. smokey thought maybe not enough voltage being delivered to motor

flynfrfun said:
J-
Don't want to change the subject...but I noticed in your post above, Enviro says to re-seal the auger cover plate if you take it off. I did not do this last year when I had mine off. I saw no reason to. Can you shed some light on why they say this?

You might draw some air through it. Does it still burn OK?

kykel said:
When I turn on the stove the lid is open. when I put the lid down you can clearly hear the auger motor go on. open lid motor stops close lid motor goes on. I assume the fuse is for the motor so why does it run and auger not turn? There is no jam because if you jump it out they both run fine. smokey thought maybe not enough voltage being delivered to motor

Dang it forgot about the hopper lid!

There is a magnetic switch on the hopper lid. You need to keep the lid closed while running the stove. If you leave it open while running it will cause a fault on the control and flash a code. Same code as if you hit the high limit switch.

Flashing code will be #4 light on the heat level indicator

I'll see if I can post some info from Enviro's site!

http://tinyurl.com/3qwh7su

Mine doesn't run with lid open either. Open interlock switch stops the auger. Pretty standard on lots of stoves. Looks like there is no problem?

richkorn said:
Mine doesn't run with lid open either. Open interlock switch stops the auger. Pretty standard on lots of stoves. Looks like there is no problem?

I'm kicking myself for not asking if the lid was open.

my point was that it was working properly - hood open off hood closed on but auger not turning

Status
Not open for further replies.