no smoke from sierra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Had a cold day here in western NC this week so i put a fire in my shop. Filled my sierra full of small oak splits (2x2 approx.) and two big locust splits. While i was mowing the yard and freezing i noticed no smoke from the smoke dragon. I was burning wide open. It smoked to brgin with but then quit. I have no damper in the flue which is about 16ft of 6" with two 90deg. elbows and a "T" outside. Did i reach the sweetspot temp? How can i keep the temp up in the ol wood hog? Is there some sort of coralation in using the small splits which char faster?
thanx guys. stay warm.

Edit- I need to use spell check more often or pay attention to typing!

The Sierra insert I burned for a couple of decades always stopped smoking at 500 to 600 degrees stove top temp. The secondary air let in over the top of the door glasses set up into a nice rolling blue burn up at the baffle about that time with the lower air at about 1/4. From there it just sat there and cruised for eight or nine hours.

It just takes a good coal bed just like the new toys and not choking it all of the way down.

Just about any stove out there will burn clean if you can get it hot enough. I used to get the old Fisher into a hot clean burn, but it took a lot of attention to maintain it. Oak and locust are probably going to be the best at doing this. That said, you probably aren't going to want to be in the room with the stove after a while because it is too hot...

Chris

We had a very clean flue and smoke free fire from our pre-EPA Jotul 602. The stove liked to burn hot and when it was, there was no smoke except briefly when introducing a fresh load of wood (every couple hours).

BeGreen said:
We had a very clean flue and smoke free fire from our pre-EPA Jotul 602. The stove liked to burn hot and when it was, there was no smoke except briefly when introducing a fresh load of wood (every couple hours).

It's that "every couple of hours" thing that will wear on you. Needless to say, this is one good reason to look at a new stove...

Chris

Definitely. As respectable a little heater as the old 602 was, feeding it every couple hours grew old.

Status
Not open for further replies.