No smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
Other than a homemade stove made from a 55-gal drum, I have never used a wood burning stove. It's not that cold around here but my gf does not have a fireplace and entertains the idea of a small wood stove but says if it smokes, it's out. Are there small stoves available that do not have a smoke problem? Or do they all smoke some and smell up the house? Which ones? I would think she would want a glass front to see the fire for feel-good effect. I am sure you must use dry wood.

Any properly installed stove, top to bottom, with a good draft should not leak smoke in the house. (unless you whip the door open)

I would guess the 55 gallon drums you speak of will leak a puff of smoke here and there.....

I have the Englander Nc-30 and regularly have people comment " I can't believe your house doesn't smell like smoke" 22 ft of double wall chimney will do that. The key is make sure you have enough and just crack the door for a second when you go to reload.

Tis not the stove it's the chimney that creates the draft that powers the stove. Without sufficient draft the best stove can be miserable. In a very mild climate like Louisiana there will be days when you will need a reasonably tall (16-25') straight up chimney to create decent draft. Without good draft the stove may smoke and be hard to run. Also important is the quality of the fuel. A modern clean burner will smoke, be balky and hard to run with poorly seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.