no smoking guns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katnchris

Sep 27, 2010
pacific nw
We just purchased a log home that needs a new wood stove. We will be heating the 2nd and 3rd floors with the stove for about 1200 square feet and a fairly open floor plan, but we do have an expensive back-up electric forced air furnace. The only catch, our asthma is very sensitive to smoke and off-gassing. We understand that the new EPA certified stoves burn much cleaner, but with any stove there is backdraft potential. We have a long flu pipe inside the home and are considering installing an outside air vent directly into the stove. We are bit nervous because we had so many problems with our last stove smoking up our previous house, that we quit using it all together. The question: what is the best wood stove that will provide the BEST indoor air quality or least indoor air pollution? Does anyone have experience with the Rais Rondo?

There are lots of experts on here & I'm far from this. That said, my advice is to purchase one of the expensive smoke extractor fans. They are about $1000 to $1200 & I can,t think of the name right now. If you don't have real good draft any stove is going to be a problem for you. Randy

The brand is Exhausto & they offer a 100 percent guarantee against smoke in the house & smoke problems.

I've always wondered where the make up air for those exhaust system comes from. If an exhaust system is pulling out 4-500cfm, it has to be replaced from somewhere otherwise one would be pulling the whole house into a negative pressure. Do those of you who have to use them provide a makeup air opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.