No suction - air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elevatn

Sep 29, 2008
WV
www.hikesite.com
I have a Summer's Heat 55-shp10. I cranked it up today and noticed that it was quieter than usual. Once the pellets ignited I noticed that the smoke was not clearing from the inside as it normally does. After shutting down I started it back up, removed the outside air intake hose and noticed that there is no suction at all going into the stove. looks like I'm replacing something. Anyone know which part is being affected?

elevatn said:
I have a Summer's Heat 55-shp10. I cranked it up today and noticed that it was quieter than usual. Once the pellets ignited I noticed that the smoke was not clearing from the inside as it normally does. After shutting down I started it back up, removed the outside air intake hose and noticed that there is no suction at all going into the stove. looks like I'm replacing something. Anyone know which part is being affected?

If it's not the combustion blower, then you need to clean the stove & pipe big time.

there is no "intake blower" the exhaust blower sucks the air through the stove and ejects it out the flue , the stove will not light without the exhaust blower running. check for a blocked intake first its easier to check , but it sounds to me like macman hit the solution, pull your flue pipes and check for blockage.

the second blower in the unit is strictly room air and doesnt directly affect the fire.

Use caution that it is not a bees nest or animal. I found one the hard way once.

mralias said:
Use caution that it is not a bees nest or animal. I found one the hard way once.

good point!, that happens with direct vent stoves sometimes. ive had customers over the years with everything from bees to bats in their vents , occasionally the poor animal gets too far in and ends up in the exhaust blower only to be found when the blower doesnt come on upon attempted use.

I had a similar circumstance regarding the pellets not staying lit last winter. I traced my steps because it had worked a few minutes before I cleaned the burn pot out! Turns out.... in my Quad the lever you pull to open the bottom of burnpot and drop the ash.....it had not closed quite all the way and left maybe a 1/4" opening interupting the vacuum effect needed to keep the fire kicking! lol Something simple....

stoveguy2esw said:
there is no "intake blower" the exhaust blower sucks the air through the stove and ejects it out the flue , the stove will not light without the exhaust blower running. check for a blocked intake first its easier to check , but it sounds to me like macman hit the solution, pull your flue pipes and check for blockage.

the second blower in the unit is strictly room air and doesnt directly affect the fire.

Thanks for the replies so far. I don't believe it's the flue pipes, as I removed them to check the blower and intake. The exhaust blower is blowing air, but the intake pipe has no suction to it as it used to. If the exhaust blower is what pulls air in to the stove, there must be some sort of blockage between the intake pipe on the back of the stove and the stoves burn chamber. As I said, both external intake and exhaust pipes have been completely disconnected and the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.