No talk about Geothermal heat pumps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i take back what I said. I did not know that number was realistic.

a 32 deg temp was mentioned. I would guess that the system is water, not glycol. this would probably be the heating mode- rtn to ground side. assuming 35, w/ a 10 deg delta, that puts the "from ground" side @ 45. I had thought that the ground source temp was a 55 degree constant. This would put the ground loop at a 10 degree closest approach temperature.(15 deg average approach to ground)

kimko, are these numbers close ?

I was told that I would need 2- 300 foot wells for 4 tons of refrigeration.
at 10$/ft for drilling in rock(where I am), thats $6,000

Is this consistent with your installations?

what is the ratio of well footage for a ton? in my case it would have been 150 ft/ton

my electric rate is about $0.12/kwh, in NYC a few miles away, its 0.15

When I was building my house, I really wanted to go completely geothermal, but I couldnt justify the payback. I did install a geo feature though. Under the house basement slab insulation I embedded pex tubing in stone dust. In the summer I circulate the water through my radiant floor loops and then down under the house to dump heat. on startup I can get 2 tons of almost free cooling. steady state about 1 ton. the loop temps are like 70/68.

Before I bought my Eko 60 I thought about geothermal.I have a 35 acre private lake front home.I already have air to air heat pump so transition won't be all that hard,also Im a excavating contractor.Since my home is only 6 years old I've decided to wait till my heat pump goes down and then maybe the new tecnolgy will be better.Any experiance in pond loop geothermal?

hi guys ;try to answer best I can.
150ft/ton is a rule of thumb in rock that I'd use as a minimum, local drillers want 35/ft here so I don't sell any verticles.
I do alot of lake loops ,more than horz. ground. Most manfufacturers now offer 2 speed compressors as well as E.C.M. fan motors , technology won't get much better than that just more expensive to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.