No "UGLIES" in these stacks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaton

Aug 22, 2011
Hastings, Michigan
Started my stacks in January. Have transferred about a third of my stuff, cut and split last summer, home from my dads about a third of a mile away. Most of the rest is stacked between trees in the woods, just bringing home what is in piles right now. Had about 2/3 of a face cord of crotches and twisted crap that wouldn't stack so offered them to my elderly neighbor, he burns in a regular wood furnace, and he said sure. So loaded em up and gave to him! Not that I wouldn't burn them, not a snob, (lol), but don't have my boiler yet, so might as well have my storage area pretty. The three closest stacks are all ash, the furthest is a third ash, third beech, and a third red oak. The emerald ash borer has really decimated dads woods! Walked through just the little woods last week, (14 acres), and aside from the 12 down cherry, oak, maple, and of course ash, counted 33 standing ash that needed to be cut. Sad! Will be great btu's but.... Hate to think about how many are in the "Forty".

Cheers,
Brandon

Attachments

• woodstacks.jpg
    woodstacks.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 618
Good-looking collection there, and lots more in the pipeline too, eh? Can't tell from the picture, but are those rows far enough apart to drive between them? We have room to do that, and it makes access easier. Good job!

Nice looking stacks Armaton....always like to hear someone helping out another.

Brandon I know what you mean about the ash. We've been cutting on them for several years and still not done. On the good side, we found one ash tree on our 40 that looks like it was not hit by the borer. Not sure why they missed this one as it is right by others but it makes me happy to see one alive!

Looks like a nice stack of wood. What kind of boiler are you going to get ? Are you heating more than the house ? Looks like a nice newer home. Well insulated ?

x2 on the ash pile in Michigan. 90+% of my stacks are ash. Up side is that much of it is standing dead so after CSS the season time is expedited.

That is some nice stacks! I have some elm that I almost ready to give away the stuff is driving me nuts!

Home built in 2007, well insulated. 95% sure a Varmebaronen Vedolux 30 is gonna be housed in a 12x16x12 shed on the other side of the house. Just using it for heat and DHW. Would like it on this side, but hate to attempt to miss my buried propane line, core the wall, tear the wall and ceiling out of my son's closet, and tear into the bulkhead in another 12' closet on the way to my utility room. On the other side I just have to core the wall into my man cave that is at present unfinished with no ceiling. On another note, recieved my moisture meter yesterday! Took it with me to the woods to cut on a white oak that has been down for 3 years. Cut a round out and split it, 39% moisture content! Seems like I couldn't go by a split without checking it! LOL! The ash in my stacks is about 25% right now, and the oak and beech are 38%. Of course the oak and beech was alive early January, so I would expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.