no vacuum to hold in air switch - stove is clean - look at this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
New Pelpro Accutron 4 control panel, new vacuum switch. Stove and venting is clean!
A.O. Smith Exhaust Motot runs fine but look at it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Motor not clean.YUCK!!!!!!!!!!! At one time did that have fins on that fan blade setup?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 115
Yes
She said it burned like a candle that did not flicker much before it croaked!

Here is a video on replacing it!
Looks easy but Nooooo!
The appliance adapter was silicone on, rusted and broke coming off.
They do not show that in the video!

If you noticed in the video, the new exhaust blower has the petal quadrafire impellers that HHT uses!

Still no quick change hub for easy cleaning and motor replacement.

I like the housings with the quick change hub.

Last edited:
If you noticed in the video, the new exhaust blower has the petal quadrafire impellers that HHT uses!

Hey Don,

I saw the new petal impeller fan in a Quad video also, and they seem to look cheaply constructed to me, and that they would be harder to clean carbon build-up off of. Being able to access the combustion fan from behind the right side ash trap brick on my Quad Castile makes it easier to periodically vacuum the fin blades and the fan base to help keep them clear of ash, but it looks like that would be tougher to do with petal impeller's shape.

I *assume* there was a rationale Quad has for changing the design ? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread topic......::-)

Regards, DK

Hey Don,

I saw the new petal impeller fan in a Quad video also, and they seem to look cheaply constructed to me, and that they would be harder to clean carbon build-up off of. Being able to access the combustion fan from behind the right side ash trap brick on my Quad Castile makes it easier to periodically vacuum the fin blades and the fan base to help keep them clear of ash, but it looks like that would be tougher to do with petal impeller's shape.

I *assume* there was a rationale Quad has for changing the design ? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread topic......::-)

Regards, DK
Hi DK
Good comments, yes I worked on the Castile and it is easy to access the fan.
The reason for the blade change on the Pelpro is because HHT bought out Pelpro so they use the same blade for all models. However they should change the housing to the quick change housing with the 6" mounting hub so the blower an be easily removed with 6 mounting nuts. I bet it would have cost more so maybe that is why that was not done?

Reactions: DMKNLD
No doubt profit and cost containment clearly came in to the decision to change the fan design to fit more stove models in their production line. But with every pellet stove model having different forced-draft design characteristics and air flow patterns, I'm not sure "one-size-fits-all" combustion blowers, being the heart of a stove's design performance and efficiency, will not create more problems than the uniformity of application would seem to help with.

I guess their tech guys have the data to support their decisions, but so did General Motors prior to their choice not to change out their deadly ignition switches at a cost of $.90 more per unit !

Agree with the quick change housing hub suggestion. Anything manufacturers can do to make components more consumer-friendly to do scheduled maintenance, and to swap out parts when needed, is certainly appreciated.

As an aside, I love your "what's wrong with this pellet picture" posts. Whenever I get slack and fall behind on my cleaning schedule, I look at one of your posts from one of your client's stove *misadventures* and it motivates me to do my preventive maintenance ! :cool: Keep the pics, and the stories and lessons they tell, coming !

Cheers, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.