No wonder I couldnt get warm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Yesterday I was freezing, even as I had my stove ROARING. I noticed the fan on my central AC/Heat pump was blowing and figured the stove wasn't pushing the heat far enough to the intake. I check the thermostat to see if the fan was on. It was, so was the AC! I had the thermostat set to turn the AC on when the temp reached 65*.... Stove was pushing it closer to 85*. Easy problem to solve, but I sure felt stupid!

:cheese: :lol: :bug: :sick: :cheese: :lol:

Sorry couldn't help to literally laugh out loud at this one. That sucks, but hey good thing you figured it out.

Christmas bonuses this year at the electric company.

That's the sort of thing Dick Nixon used to do regularly at Camp David. Ran a/c full blast with fireplace roaring, in August.
Or so it's written. Extra a/c capacity was installed so he could have fires in summer.

On the bright side Remmy, it is surely nice when you find the problem is so simple to correct. You'll laugh at this one for years.

Chalk it up as a learning expierence, unfortunatley you exposed yourself here, but we all have had our own issues, glad it was nothing major.

Nope just giving that AC a test run....

I'm sorry . . . but this made me chuckle a bit . . . thanks for the laugh.

Yep, we're all laughing with you, not at you, on this one. Thanks for helping start my day out with a smile (it's not 8 a.m. yet on this side of the Hearthland).

My son is holding down the fort for a few days while I am out of town for work, and I was frantic about getting some decent wood in before I left--he didn't understand my concern at all. I tried to go over the different kinds of wood we had and their burn characteristics, how to clean the ashes out of the stove, how often, all that stuff, but he said, "I know how to do all that--I've watched you. And I can always call if I have questions." Guess who called early this morning? "Mom, it's freezing in here. It's 52 degrees!" I had a *much* more receptive audience this time.

I was sympathetic and supportive while he was on the phone (for about forty minutes!) while he got the stove up to temp. I heard him go out and split some of the firekilled spruce that throws out a hot quick fire (the stuff I recommended he had split on hand for just such needs) and he mused about which wood would give him the best heat over the day, which he suddenly found to be an interesting question. He hung up about fifteen minutes ago, but I'm still wearing a very snarky grin. :lol:

Yep, we're all laughing with you, not at you, on this one. Thanks for helping start my day out with a smile (it's not 8 a.m. yet on this side of the Hearthland).

My son is holding down the fort for a few days while I am out of town for work, and I was frantic about getting some decent wood in before I left--he didn't understand my concern at all. I tried to go over the different kinds of wood we had and their burn characteristics, how to clean the ashes out of the stove, how often, all that stuff, but he said, "I know how to do all that--I've watched you. And I can always call if I have questions." Guess who called early this morning? "Mom, it's freezing in here. It's 52 degrees!" I had a *much* more receptive audience for the information this time.

I was sympathetic and supportive while he was on the phone (for about forty minutes!) while he got the stove up to temp. I heard him go out and split some of the firekilled spruce that throws out a hot quick fire (the stuff I recommended he had split on hand for just such needs) and he mused about which wood would give him the best heat over the day, which was an interesting topic for discussion. He said, "Say what you will about the cave men, they made the greatest discovery in history: fire!" He hung up about fifteen minutes ago, but I'm still wearing a very snarky grin. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.