Noisy auger problem enviro empress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

72tx340

Feb 10, 2009
maine
My post got deleted and i dont know why......here goes i have a enviro empress and the auger is extreamly noisy starts and stops with a loud thunk....as it runs it makes a noisy whine....i thought this stove was the quietist on the market? Any help or is this normal

Not deleted, moved to the pellet forum where it should get better attention.

Just a guess but could it be the brass bushing at the bottom of your auger? I would first start by removing the auger and giving it a good cleaning. Make sure to check for worn metal parts and the end of the auger and make sure to get all the sawdust out. Is it still dropping the right amount of pellets?

how old is the stove? i have an empress from 2005, and had to replace the auger this year. It stopped feeding the pellets correctly. After having the new one installed, I realize was a lot louder than should have been.

If you have back access and the right tork set you can take out and put back the auger "relaxtively" easily. I had a groan of time taking it off the second time (as did the technican who eventually got it off). It's not that difficult to work with, but proceed with caution. It's also a lot cheaper to order and replace yourself if you feel comfortable doing this (you can find a replacement motor for under $100 online).

That being said as well, quiet is relative...All stoves make noise, and I would not call the empress quite. It just is not that loud.

Good luck.

Its new just bought it this fall. The dealer finally agreed to come look at it....he did mention that there is a bushing that may be gone.....wow didnt last long!

no, not at all. It's under warranty so that is good. You should insist on appropriate service for the unit from the dealer. If not, contact enviro directly, they very willing to help out their customers.

I'd let the pellets run down. With the stove OFF, check to see if there's excessive slop or play in the auger. If so, you do probably have a bushing failure. If not, things aren't all that bad (or rather easier to fix). The "thunk' at the start and stop of the auger makes me believe it is a bushing, but it could just be something in the bore causing the problem, which is why you should check the play.

If you let the pellets run down and do not find any excessive play in the auger, you probably have a buildup of some type in the bore the auger spins in. Check where the auger enters the burn pot. It's not uncommon for carbon to build up at the end of the bore. In fact, you should be scraping this when the stove is cleaned. Scrape it well and clean off the end of the auger. If you turn the stove on and it's still making the same noise, there's one other trick that works excellent for fixing a noisy auger. Go to the hardware store and buy some powered graphite. I try to buy the larger 2 ounce+ containers so I have it on hand, otherwise the tiny tubes they sell for use with key locks will work in a pinch. With just a few cups of pellets in the bottom of the hopper, sprinkle some of the graphite on the pellets. It doesn't take a lot (a tbs is more than enough). Use something to mix the graphite into the pellets well (I use a table knife), then run the stove as you normally would. Don't worry, the small amount of graphite will do no harm to your stove. If it is a friction issue, the auger should stop making noise within a few minutes of operation. I've had excellent luck with doing this... and the best part is it's very easy to do and the stove doesn't have to be disassembled to sand down the bore and clean the auger. If you do this and the high pitch noise is gone but the thunk still remains, it's a bushing and it will have to be replaced.

Good luck.

The Empress is a drop feed.

On mine, there are two clear soft plastic covers (short pieces of tubing) on the stops at the bottom near the auger in back. I have noticed that the auger will slap the turn stops and will make a relatively loud noise due to the covers shifting.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.