Noisy exhaust fan before it stops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caelbe

Oct 24, 2014
Delaware
We have an older Auburn St. Croix corn/pellet stove that we bought used off of a friend. We love it EXCEPT, since last year, when we run the stove on the lowest setting, before too long the exhaust fan starts making this rattly/janky noise and then after a bit the fan will stop entirely, and smoke enters our house. My husband took the fan entirely out and cleaned it very well, and for the remainder of that day it ran perfectly on a low setting. But today, the second day of use, it has started to do the same noise again that precedes it's quitting. Can anyone tell me why it is doing this and what we should do about it? Thank you!!

Sounds like it's about ready to quit for good. You can try putting a little oil in the bearings but that's only a short term fix. Your gonna need to replace it. The reason it is doing it is because the bearings are likely worn out and or dry. Once the bearings get to this point the only real solution is to replace it.

Reactions: Bioburner
JD is probably right. The bearings, if it has any, are gone! If they are ball bearings and your husband is mechanically inclined, he can replace them for very little money. If they are sleeve bearings, then you need a new fan. Bite the bullet and get one, That's a wear item, sad to say. :(

Sounds like it's about ready to quit for good. You can try putting a little oil in the bearings but that's only a short term fix. Your gonna need to replace it. The reason it is doing it is because the bearings are likely worn out and or dry. Once the bearings get to this point the only real solution is to replace it.
Do you have any idea why it will still work ok if it's on a higher setting? If I turn it higher when it starts making that noise, the noise will stop. But then sometimes that is more heat than what I had wanted, so I want it to run ok on a lower setting too.

It also won't shut off if I turn the fan higher. It only shuts off on the low speed, and only after making the rattly noise.

The motor is overcoming the poor bearings at higher speeds and not overheating the motor. Be glad its now and not when its really cold.

It also won't shut off if I turn the fan higher. It only shuts off on the low speed, and only after making the rattly noise.
Because on high the motor is spinning faster and with more power. Eventually it will make noise and stop no matter what. It's giving you a warning sign that it's life is over. As tjnamtiw has said it's a wear item. They usually run for quite a few years but eventually the heat dries the bearings out and then they start making a racket.

Because on high the motor is spinning faster and with more power. Eventually it will make noise and stop no matter what. It's giving you a warning sign that it's life is over. As tjnamtiw has said it's a wear item. They usually run for quite a few years but eventually the heat dries the bearings out and then they start making a racket.
Are you telling me that if we do replace the bearings that the fan will last longer? Or just that it will stop the rattling?

If the motor has ball bearings and your husband is handy, then yes you could just replace the bearings and the motor will run just fine. If the bearings are bronze sleeve bearings then there is no replacing them and you will need a new combustion blower.

If the motor has ball bearings and your husband is handy, then yes you could just replace the bearings and the motor will run just fine. If the bearings are bronze sleeve bearings then there is no replacing them and you will need a new combustion blower.
Ok - thanks so much for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.