noisy/whining feed motor and other associated noises.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurthood

Jan 27, 2011
southern NH
Hello pellet folks,

So ive run into a couple of issues as of late that I'd like to pick the collective pellet community brain about. The stove is a Harman P61A, purchased locally in New Hampshire in December of 2010. Going into the third burning season. This past burning season and current ive noticed some particular noises coming from the stove that seemed a little odd. I know theres a few sounds/noises to be expected in all mechanical things so I can accept those. These seemed a little uncommon. Every now and again, there will be a large clunk or series of clunking noises coming from the depths of the stove. My guess is that maybe a longer than normal pellet @ the edge of the feed tube just got lopped in half by the auger spinning its way through the tube? Anyone else heard this or can confirm or disprove my theory? Not a big deal really, happens every now and again, and the stove seems to run fine. Coincidently Ive only noticed it when burning this particular pellet. I burned Maine Woods last year and never heard it once, this past year and current Im burning Geneva pellets.

The real issue is the excessive whining of the feed motor. It literally sounds like metal on metal scraping or kind of like a constant creaking door. Does this make sense the noise im trying to describe? I pulled the back panels off and watched the shaft turn and can confirm this is the cause of the noise. I also turned the shaft by hand and it was squeeking in the same manner. It usually occurs at the startup and once the stove gets up to a hot ripping temp, the noise typically goes away.

Is this a sign that the motor is crapping out, or can these parts be removed, cleaned up and greased? It looked like the motor was attached to the shaft by a simple tensioning bolt onto the shaft. I was thinking of taking this thing all apart and doing some tinkering, but then was thinking about warranty etc. I imagine all sorts of dust has got back there and may start binding up all those essential moving augers and gears and whatnot. Thoughts from the community are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Kurt

Check out my signature for some tips, it's pretty easy.

Mine makes the clunk noise as well occasionally.

You can scrape the carbon @ the burn pot / auger tip like smwilliamson suggested, see if it goes away.

Pulling the whole auger isn't that bad, that'll let you clean up the bushing / check auger tightness / clean out auger chute.

Make sure you vacuum out all those fines / small pellets that get stuck in the feed area.

Nothing new to add here other than that I also get a loud clunk every once in a while. I find it to be pellet dependent. Happened a lot when I burned 6 bags of GS. Only heard it a half dozen times or so this season with the MWP blend.

Sounds like pellets crunching to me. MWP, for me, are very quiet. My Orford softies are much more dense and will cause a bit more pellet snapage.

If you're experiencing a regular rhythmic clunking, see my recent thread on Harman slide plate/actuator issues.

hey folks,

thanks for the replies. Sounds like we are mosty in agreement on the pellet snappage causing the clunk. not a big deal.

There is very little if any buildup at the base of the auger. I scrape it down really well with a painters chisel scraper before starting it up each time.

Mighty moe, i will check out that post on pulling the auger and assembly to address the whining issue. Has anyone else found this whining of the feed motor to be an issue with harman stoves?

Status
Not open for further replies.