Noisy wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many will see this in there wood piles. Very common. Powder post beetles.Note the very super fine sawdust.

View attachment 74406View attachment 74407View attachment 74408View attachment 74409

Very interesting! This thread answered my question before I asked again! My Honey Locust stacks are covered with very fine locust dust. Whatever the little critters are they don’t, as yet, bother my oak or ash and strangely enough they haven’t attacked my black locust either. Too bad I’m so deaf; they must be cool to hear working.
Cockroaches, disgustingly enough, are plentiful in most of my stacks. I’ve even found them running out burrows in rounds I just cut from freshly dropped trees. YUCK!! :p

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Don't worry about the shed.

Because the bugs won't bother it. Too dry for them.

Because the bugs won't bother it. Too dry for them.
They all ready have. That's what I was saying. There was a huge pile of very fine and fluffy saw dust on the floor. So I think they are already in there. :-( I was doing some reading on them and they do like moist wood. I built this shed from a lot of reclaimed wood from a demo job I did. Then it was stored under a tarp for a year or two before I built it. So maybe the nested in there. I will have to keep an eye on it. Usually around June or July they tend to hatch which only the babies eat the wood. And push it out of the hole they borough.

I had some hatch in my garage and they made some holes in unpainted window frames. They don't like paint so I painted them. This summer I sprayed some ant stuff on the stack and I saw a lot of dead bug bodies on the floor.

I can understand why they are in the wood then Mike. However, I don't think you'll have to worry too much anyway. They will bore some holes but the wood will still last a long, long time. I recall one of our old grainaries that got the beetles in the wood. Danged thing did finally fall over....about 55 years later.

I can understand why they are in the wood then Mike. However, I don't think you'll have to worry too much anyway. They will bore some holes but the wood will still last a long, long time. I recall one of our old grainaries that got the beetles in the wood. Danged thing did finally fall over....about 55 years later.
Awh man I was hoping this shed would last at least 60 years. :)
Thanks Dennis. As always a plethora of good information.

I spray my wood with ant/termite spray. Mix it with water, and spray it on the wood when I bring it in. A garden sprayer with three gallons of water / pesticide mix does 4 cord. I have found the bugs on the floor in about two days. The water / spray dries out in no time.
I had some Elm and the larve were all under the 1/2" thick bark, once dry though the bark peeled right off and I burned it all in the campfire pit. That stuff stunk!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.