Non Cat "Encore"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
I have found a used Non Cat Encore. It is white porcelain. The current owner bought it with his house. The owner discloses chipping. From the pictures I can tell there is a fairly large area of missing porcelain in the rear left corner along the edge of the metal cover.

I did what research I could on this site and I know that Vermont Casting's reputation has taken a beating after being purchased by another company. Recent versions of this model have received very poor reviews. Is there anything from the above description that might help pinpoint whether this is a "Classic" Encore or a new Non Cat from the current manufacturer? For instance, is white a traditional color or new styling?

Also, would the chipping suggest over firing? Or would it simply suggest abuse while loading the stove?

Finally, would touch up porcelain be available? If it is available is that something the average person can make look right?
Thanks, Catherine

The "classic" Encore is the catalytic model. The non-cat didn't exist until a couple years ago. The reputation beating came from CFM management and destruction of a fine company. CFM is now under new ownership and the Q/C is now on par in my opinion. There would be touch up paint available but restoring the enamel to original finish is impossible. The chip is likely due to being struck by something. Usually overfiring causes crazing (thousands of little cracks all over the surface) the only way to tell for sure is to look at it though.

Another cause can be spilling liquid on the hot stove. The sharp difference in temperature can shock the porcelain finish and cause it to crack badly. If the rest of the stove is in good to excellent condition and the price is right, it could still be a nice stove. Inspect the interior of the stove well. If possible, bring someone with you that knows this stove and has used it or another VC stove.

Here's a link to a good wiki article posted by Elk on used stove buying:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Used_Stove_buying_Primer/

If the chipped enamal is near the griddle top then as Be green said something spilled out of a tea kettle or sauce pan shocked the finish.

the only way to repaire an extensive chipped area is to replace the top. but it can be done When you examine it next before you pass a small deposit note the model # on the back part of the stove on the tag. with that I can identify the age I doubt it is a non cat model if the stove is older than 2 years However I prefere the cat model It is a lot more opperator forgiving a and
really set and forget. As for the cat cleanig I can advise and turn it into a 5 minute opperation next time bring a digital camera take pictures all around it and of the insides. and post them Expect needing to replace some gaskets . Again I can help you threw this opperation either here or over the phone PM my you phone # if you need imediate imput

Elk,
I may take you up on your offer to PM you but not just yet.

I'll have to take the current owner's word that it's a "non" cat for now. She didn't ask me what a catalytic converter was, so either she has some idea of what she's talking about or she looked it up be before answering my question about it. Either way there's a good chance the answer is accurate. In which case it would seem to be a newer stove and quality becomes a bigger issue.

Based upon the info you guys gave me (above) I sent her an email with some additional questions. I've asked if she can check for the model number and I've asked if the porcelain shows cracking.

I'm actually more interested in the Woodstock Keystone but he wants too much for it. I know it's been used to seriously supplement the owner's heating bill and the pictures suggest it could use a really good cleaning. I don't know if he has any idea of how to run a stove so my working assumption is that at a minimum the catalytic converter needs to be replaced.
~Cath

I would say that you aren't likely to have a problem if it is an "Everburn" or Non-Cat Encore, as those are from the period after VC got their QC act back together. The other advantage of the Non-Cat Encores is that they are built using all gaskets for the joints instead of refractory cement. This should make repairs or parts replacements much easier.

Unless you have real hangups about the cosmetic damage, if the price is right (or if it is really right, and still reasonable when you figure in the cost of a replacement top) and there isn't other sign of over-firing or damage, then I would likely have no problems with purchasing the stove. (Though the Keystone might be a bit more of a heater)

Gooserider

Cath all non cat Encores are model numbers 1450 Current run Cat Encores are 2555

1991 to 1995 2190 this was the model run with the most QC issues

1990-1991 2140

1986-1990 0028

Status
Not open for further replies.