Non Combustible Mantel Project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeg199

Jun 17, 2013
Vermont
I joined Hearth.com this year and got a lot of great advice on buying a new stove. What made my particular porject challenging was that my stove was going into a small dining room and it would be a hearth mount installation. Accordingly, i purchased a demo unit from the Hearthstone factory sale for a steep discount that fits nearly perfect in my fireplace. The biggest problem was clearance to a combustible mantel. See below. IMG_4225.JPG
This photo was actually taken before i purchased the house, but depicts the original design. So the first job was to (sadly) dismantle the mantel and replace the drywall behind it with hardi backer (non combustible ) material. One particular feature i wanted was to allow for outside air to infiltrate near the stove, thus preventing or reducing cold floors. So i installed a dryer vent conduit through the wall.
IMG_20130907_135521.jpg
With all of the drywall removed and replaced, i needed to prepare the mounting surface for thinset and tile (vermont slate). As you can see in the photo above, i stacked three layers of backer board to allow the bottom tile to have a dead space behind it which would allow for outside air to enter the room. The photo below shows the finished state. The bottom extruded tile also adds a nice grounding feel to the mantel surround.
FB_IMG_13810992033803339.jpg

With the sides of the mantel all but finished, i had to make a decision as to whether or not to include a mantel shelf. Per Hearthstone's requirements, if it was to be combustible with a shield, it would have been located more than halfway up to the wall to the ceiling. Not ideal. I researched for a long time on how to build a non combustible mantel shelf and it seems like almost everyone just has a piece of granite or other stone cut and mounted. I wanted something with more depth and boldness, not to mentioned more affordable. So i set out to build a shelf, made out of cement board and reinforced with steel. I couldn't find much in the way of how to actually do this, so i hope this helps.

I purchase wrought iron brackets from an online retailer to build a strong base. These brackets are lag bolted to the studs behind. I then cut out a long piece of cement board that would be reinforced by 1/8" angle iron on both the wall side and the room side of the shelf. See below.
IMG_20130914_162633.jpg
Top View:
IMG_20130914_162620.jpg

Instead of wasting cement board filling in the cavity between the angle irons, i tediously filled the cavity with smaller cutouts of cement board and screwed it all tight.

IMG_20130914_182818.jpg

Finally i capped it with a large piece of cement board. I also had to cover the front side with cement board in order to provide a suitable surface to thinset tile on to.

IMG_20130915_124154.jpg

With all the cement board tight, i cut tiles and thinset them on the mantel shelf:

IMG_20130922_125728.jpg

With the new, non combustible fireplace mantel complete, i ventured down the road of making a custom hearthpad extension that matches the nice cherry floor trim pattern with matching slate tile. This hearthpad was another project that i may post.
IMG_20140101_200247.jpg
The finished product! Hope this post helps someone out there. I know it certainly would have helped me!!

Attachments

• IMG_20130915_154752.jpg
    IMG_20130915_154752.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,522
Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, the new mantel compliments the Keystone nicely.

Nice remedy. Looks good. I can't seem to get my dog to help like that - he mumbles something about opposable thumbs and then walks away.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Great! I've been trying to wrap my head around a small mantle install. I got as far as the steel brackets and angle Iron, I was going to lean towards a black steel angle iron parallel run holding cobble stones. I like the use of the cement board and slate, sharp, well done and thanks for the photos.

Thank you for all of the compliments! THe project took wayyyyy longer than i anticipated, but my doberman made sure to keep me on track. Right now my thermometer says -10F. Tomorrow isn't supposed to get any higher than 0F - so this will be the biggest test. Right now it's holding the house stable at around 66. If anyone has specific questions i'm happy to help.

I was going to lean towards a black steel angle iron parallel run holding cobble stones.

Cobble stones sound like a fabulous idea. There really is nothing like a natural stone look and feel.

That's the Homestead, right? How is it heating for you? Any issues burning in it?

This is my first ever stove. Now that that is out of the way - i am fairly please, but i have very little to base this impression on. I'm still learning a lot but i get frustrate by how fast this stove goes through wood. I assumed (silly) that an 8 hour burn time meant an 8 hour flame. I wuold say i would be lucky to get two. ofcourse that would mean fully loading the stove and then i would probably overfire it and lets just say that i have never had the problem of being heated out of a room (sadly), although im sure if i waited until spring that would be an easy endeavor. As many do with the stove, i have also mounted it into my fireplace. For me this is probably robbing me of a lot of heat since this is an exterior fireplace. Additionally i think i am missing out on a lot of heat that would otherwise be transferred from the stovepipe into a room. In summary the heat output probably has a lot to do with my setup. For reference i have a fairly well insulated house 1300 sq ft in vermont.

Now that my setting is understood, i like the stove. It's reliable, takes a beating, looks good. Same complaints as most. ash pan is worthless, handle could be stronger etc. I picked it because it was designed to fit in a tight space, which is what i have. The soapstone is wonderful at cutting down radiation heat, and the stove only protrudes like 16" from the wall. I kinda wish i looked into woodstock a bit more, but i think in the end, given the space constraints, this is still the best option. If woodstock made a hybrid soapstone that was also hearthmount nobody would know the homestead existed. :) I saw a video the other day of the new Ideal Steel from woodstock and it made me jealous of the secondary burn that my stove cant touch. http://blog.woodstove.com/2013/12/early-news-from-beta-testers.html#more

Let me know if you have specific questions!

I'm running a Hearthstone Shelburne in central NH, heating about 1000 sq/ft. Keeps it at 78 without working hard at all in this 1/2 tight 1/2 drafty shack.
Be patient, learn the stove, best dry wood you can get, good bed of coals, she should keep up I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.