Non-Contact Voltage Tester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
looking for a Non-Contact Voltage Tester. Does any one have one and how good is it. I have been looking at amazon for one.
2149063ZRQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fluke 1AC-A1-II Volt-Alert AC Non-Contact Voltage Tester

Most of the reviews are good. Any thoughts for me..

I've got a few of them, work pretty good. They aren't always accurate though, I've had one not make a sound but the wire was live. If I'm not sure, I'll break out the wiggys and check with them.

burnham said:
I've got a few of them, work pretty good. They aren't always accurate though, I've had one not make a sound but the wire was live. If I'm not sure, I'll break out the wiggys and check with them.
Yes they are not perfect by any means, meter or a wiggy is a better choice unless you have a specific need for one.

When remodeling upstairs our carpenter came across old knob and tube wiring. He pulled out his trusty non-contact tester and sure enough it beeped. He came down to my office with a grave look on his face. "We've got to talk", he announced. I trudged up to the future bathroom to see what the problem was. "You've got live knob and tube wiring here. I don't want to bury it with the new flooring. It needs to be replaced." I was surprised, because the kitchen on the first floor below had new recessed cans installed by a previous owner. So I examined the knob and tube and followed the wiring. Sure enough, it had been clipped a bit further down the line. But, playing along with the seriousness of the carpenter, I asked, "How do you know it's live?" He pulled out the tester and ran it close to the wire. And on cue, it beeped and the light lit. "Wow are you sure it's live?" A solemn head nodded. I then grabbed two ends of the wires and faked a mega jolt sending me into spasms. But before he called the medics, I let in on the secret and showed him the cut ends of the wires. That evening I noticed the tester in the garbage.

I watched an electrician touch his thumb and fore finger to the wires to see if they are live. When he didn't get a shock, he licked his thumb and finger and tried again. I have a contact type screwdriver/tester with a neon bulb in it. Wet fingers works too.

That fluke is what i use daily at work. Also known as a tic tracer. I only use it for a quick double check, ie i think i turned that circuit off just wanna make sure before i cut it so my pliers don't blow up. Or is there power at that plug and the problem is a burnt out bulb or bad whatever they are plugging in. For anything more serious than that i break out the fluke http://us.fluke.com/fluke/usen/Electrical-Test-Tools/Electrical-Testers/Fluke--T5.htm?PID=55986

I do not reccomend the greenlee or gardner bender versions of the tic tracer, i have found them to be un-reliable with their on/off switch

never seen a non contact tester I would trust my life to. I have seen several Greenlee's and a Fluke that didn't light on a hot wire. Use a real meter. Then double check with the tried and true screwdriver method. Only then do you know for sure it's safe.

I have one...it's only let me down twice. Once it showed no voltage, so I was working on taking a light fixture down and kept feeling like I was getting a little buzz. Then I wen to pull the bare wires through the hole in a stud and ZAP! they shorted directly. Second time was cutting back a 240V line and it showed no volts, so I cut...BOOM! arc welded my best pair of wire cutters right to the copper. The key seems to be getting the tip of the probe very near the line side wire.

cozy heat said:
I have one...it's only let me down twice. Once it showed no voltage, so I was working on taking a light fixture down and kept feeling like I was getting a little buzz. Then I wen to pull the bare wires through the hole in a stud and ZAP! they shorted directly. Second time was cutting back a 240V line and it showed no volts, so I cut...BOOM! arc welded my best pair of wire cutters right to the copper. The key seems to be getting the tip of the probe very near the line side wire.

Well, there's two good reasons not to trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.