Non electric convection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xypexman

Oct 24, 2017
Michigan
Awesome info here but cannot find the following: stone fireplace with rotted throat. Not in budget to rebuild interior of throat or to spend $1,000's for an insert.

There is no electricity at the 500sq ft. cabin so I need something that can operate without a blower.

30" high opening to lintel, 40" wide at front, and 27" deep to back of fireplace. 9" to center of "throat/flue" from the front.

Rear flue wood stove? If so, which model with glass door and priced around $1,000. Also would like to have option to cook on. I have new pipe. Vermont Castings Intrepid seems perfect but too pricey at $1,900.

Am I spinning my wheels? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok any stove or insert can run just fine without a blower.

Don't forget you will need a liner run through the chimney also.

What ever you do don't buy the vc.

Englander stove, straight up pipe installation. Skip the old fireplace.
That way you don't need a fan, and can have the entire cook top to cook on.

Rear flue wood stove? If so, which model with glass door and priced around $1,000.
The Jotul F602CB is around $1000. The Ideal Steel starts at $2000 and that doesn't include the stainless chimney liner. And there are some top vent stoves that would fit in there, with glass that will outperform the Intrepid. Look at the Englander 13NC. It's well under $1K. You could put an Ecofan on the stove to improve heat circulation without power. Plan on a blockoff plate at the damper area to keep the heat in the cabin.

The Jotul F602CB is around $1000. The Ideal Steel starts at $2000 and that doesn't include the stainless chimney liner. And there are some top vent stoves that would fit in there, with glass that will outperform the Intrepid. Look at the Englander 13NC. It's well under $1K. You could put an Ecofan on the stove to improve heat circulation without power. Plan on a blockoff plate at the damper area to keep the heat in the cabin.

Englander looks pretty good! 35" would give me some good surface area to cook on.

Englander stove, straight up pipe installation. Skip the old fireplace.
That way you don't need a fan, and can have the entire cook top to cook on.

I think you are right. The stove would be centered 9" into the fireplace as that is the middle of the flue.

Reactions: Hogwildz