Non Electric Powered Splitters? Any Experience?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Hi Folks, Have always found a lot of good information here. I am looking to see if anyone has any reviews/feedback regarding non electric/gas splitters on the market? Basically, I have a small insert, and although my wood is delivered split, I must resplit it a few times as the firebox on the insert is small. It comes in lenghts 16" long, so I was looking at one of the hydraulic splitters that works with a foot pump and the log is placed vertically...looks like they are about 250$ or so. Basically, I have probably burn 1 1/2 cords year, so I don't need a huge machine...basically, had a double hernia a few years back, and after splitting with a 10 pound maul, I just can't be going the old fashioned way anymore.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks.

With the small electric splitters going for $250 - $300 it just does not make sense to spend $250 to stand around stomping on a peddle to re-size splits.

ilikewood if you're already buying split wood you should be able to re-split them easily with a 4lb mall with almost minimal force. You can't make any production with those hydraulic splitters.

On the other hand, the electric splitter is not that slow and you can use it in your garage when it is dark and cold outside.

I'll have to look into the smaller electric ones...wish I had a garage :)
Thanks for the info.

I bought my father a 7 ton electric that looks identical to the H F one pictured in preceding post. 2 years ago it was $180.00 on ebay (new). Might be worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.