Non electrical pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talegas

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2016
Metrowest MA
Hi all,
I've just recently bought a home which is all electric and thus joined this group as I was interested in wood burning appliances/fireplaces. Sadly (as repeated a lot) a fireplace is not efficient and is only for "show" and ambiance. I do enjoy sitting in front of it, but it lasts only 4 hrs tops.

So i decided i needed a stove.. and thinking about it a pellet stove is more efficient... so i looked for one that is non-electric but i haven't found many reviews on it.

any thoughts on the wiseway one? does not look like a traditional stove, but it caught my eye that you dont need electricity for it to function.

Hi all,
I've just recently bought a home which is all electric and thus joined this group as I was interested in wood burning appliances/fireplaces. Sadly (as repeated a lot) a fireplace is not efficient and is only for "show" and ambiance. I do enjoy sitting in front of it, but it lasts only 4 hrs tops.

So i decided i needed a stove.. and thinking about it a pellet stove is more efficient... so i looked for one that is non-electric but i haven't found many reviews on it.

any thoughts on the wiseway one? does not look like a traditional stove, but it caught my eye that you dont need electricity for it to function.
Unless you live in an underground house of 400sq ft and can sit there all day feeding it you don't want that for heating your house. They may work fine for a power outage, in a basement for a little supplemental heat from time to time or a small workshop for a couple of hours but not a normal house, IMO

Modern pellets stoves use very little electricity compared to the heat output you will get. If you go with the wiseway you would probably still have to have a fan or two running to move the air. For all of the convenience of a modern pellet stove, the wiseway to go would to get a full blown heat pumping, fill once a day, pretty flame to watch pellet stove.

Google "Wiseway pellet stove". There are many youtube videos on it as well. Several owner reviews, most say good about it. The inventor also has some footage up on how it works and the history of the design.

If you decide to go with a wise way you better first make sure that you have a place to buy softwood pellets.from my reading from owners that's about the only pellet that burns good in the wise way

Hi all,

If you want something non-electric then a woodstove is much better suited. If you're worried about power outages don't forget you can cook on your woodstove too (well most of them). There are some very efficient ones out there, probably more effecient than many pellet stoves, I wouldn't let very small effeciency differences be any deciding factor, either is usually significantly cheaper than electric. And some wood stoves can burn compressed sawdust bricks well, basically the woodstove equivelent of pellets. I pay a hair bit less for a ton of compressed sawdust bricks for the woodstove than I do pellets, but local pricing varies.

Good find and good reading. I like the experience threads opening statement. Sounds like a pretty good system if one understands how it works. But then, is;nt that the case with about any heater? d:)

Hi all,

So i decided i needed a stove.. and thinking about it a pellet stove is more efficient...

Do you own property that would allow you to harvest wood for a woodstove? Do you have a sizeable area to process and stack wood near the house? The usual practice is to get 2-3 years ahead on "seasoned" wood which means wood reading below 20% moisture on a fresh split.

For the pellet stove, do you have storage for pallets of pellets? You have to store them off the ground in a dry environment ... if they get wet, they are garbage. Softwood pellets are a premium in the east and are often a bit more difficult to get. The wiseway was designed for heating a greenhouse in the west where softwood pellets are the norm. If this is your main heat source, pre-season ordering is a must requiring that dry storage space.

In the event of power outages, many with have also purchased a gas powered inverter to run their stove. Some have larger generators but have seen conversations about pure sine wave needed for pellet stoves.

You mention you like the fire view of the fireplace ... judging you have one currently. If so, is it a traditional one or zero-clearance? You could consider an insert - either pellet or wood. Inserts tend to be the least efficient but better than an open fireplace.

holy cow!!! tons of responses.. let me gather my thoughts and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all the replies.

Do you own property that would allow you to harvest wood for a woodstove? Do you have a sizeable area to process and stack wood near the house? The usual practice is to get 2-3 years ahead on "seasoned" wood which means wood reading below 20% moisture on a fresh split.
I don't have a way to harvest wood. I would have to buy it from local firewood vendors. I do have a good size yard where to place the wood i purchase, and i guess it would only mean more trips or deliveries for extra needed wood.

For the pellet stove, do you have storage for pallets of pellets? You have to store them off the ground in a dry environment ... if they get wet, they are garbage. Softwood pellets are a premium in the east and are often a bit more difficult to get. The wiseway was designed for heating a greenhouse in the west where softwood pellets are the norm. If this is your main heat source, pre-season ordering is a must requiring that dry storage space.

I would have to sacrifice the garage for this, as is a single car garage. I have a small house.. 1600sqft or so. I would assume i dont need that much pellets to run through winter. I was reading on the wiseway and it does call out for ~2000sqft space. I am thinking on placing the stove on the basement which does have a great opening to the stairs (split entry or raised ranch) which i would think can move some of the heat upstairs.

In the event of power outages, many with have also purchased a gas powered inverter to run their stove. Some have larger generators but have seen conversations about pure sine wave needed for pellet stoves.
Sine wave for pellet stoves? what is that?

You mention you like the fire view of the fireplace ... judging you have one currently. If so, is it a traditional one or zero-clearance? You could consider an insert - either pellet or wood. Inserts tend to be the least efficient but better than an open fireplace.

I just searched for zero-clearance, and i think i have a traditional. Long flue covered in masonry up the roof , bricks everywhere and a service door down on the basement for "ash dumping" but i think that was never intended to work as it is just a hole through the cinder block to the space there the bottom cavity of the chimney is located. I dont think anybody can get ash from that place unless it was piled high up a couple of feet.

There is a guy (not sure if is still available) selling a jotul small stove. for the basement it should be OK. I thought if i was going for a stove i would go for a pellet as it was supposed to be more efficient/economic and practical than a wood stove.

And worst thing is, it started to get cold and i was away from home. electric baseboard won't cut it :(

How often are you away from home and how long at a time? Run time on a pellet stove is limited by hopper size and consumption rate. From what I have read about the Wiseway, they can be fussy to keep running... not sure if that has been improved.

For basement installs, it is recommended that you have a OAK (outside air kit) as your combustion air has to be acquired from the living space without it. A basement has less area for air infiltration from outside so negative pressure situations do occur (not enough combustion air fast enough).

My garage is loaded with commercial diving equipment, tools, Kubota, etc. so there was no room for pellets. I built a "pellet palace" a metal clad shed dedicated to the storage of pellets. They stay dry, out of the way but accessible.

Pellet usage depends on size of house, insulation values, external temperatures. Try a search top right to see what the norms are...

I don't have a way to harvest wood. I would have to buy it from local firewood vendors. I do have a good size yard where to place the wood i purchase, and i guess it would only mean more trips or deliveries for extra needed wood.

I would have to sacrifice the garage for this, as is a single car garage. I have a small house.. 1600sqft or so. I would assume i dont need that much pellets to run through winter. I was reading on the wiseway and it does call out for ~2000sqft space. I am thinking on placing the stove on the basement which does have a great opening to the stairs (split entry or raised ranch) which i would think can move some of the heat upstairs.

I just searched for zero-clearance, and i think i have a traditional. Long flue covered in masonry up the roof , bricks everywhere and a service door down on the basement for "ash dumping" but i think that was never intended to work as it is just a hole through the cinder block to the space there the bottom cavity of the chimney is located. I dont think anybody can get ash from that place unless it was piled high up a couple of feet.

There is a guy (not sure if is still available) selling a jotul small stove. for the basement it should be OK. I thought if i was going for a stove i would go for a pellet as it was supposed to be more efficient/economic and practical than a wood stove.

And worst thing is, it started to get cold and i was away from home. electric baseboard won't cut it :(

My inlaws bought a Wise way Non electric pellet stove. They got too old for the work of a wood stove. They love it actually say house gets too hot. Also the wood stove never heated the floors like the pellet stove does, and no more getting up in the night They have the bigger of the 2 models

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
How long will a hopper last (how many lbs. of pellets)? Did they work out the problems they had previously with stove operation? Can't remember if it was combustion air or pellet clinkers but stove would go out often on the early models..

They must have the hot water jacket? Or is it basement installed? Model GW1949? that's the only one showing up on the website...

PS: Hopper loading ... seems pretty high. Any difficulties loading it up?

How long will a hopper last (how many lbs. of pellets)? Did they work out the problems they had previously with stove operation? Can't remember if it was combustion air or pellet clinkers but stove would go out often on the early models..

They must have the hot water jacket? Or is it basement installed? Model GW1949? that's the only one showing up on the website...

PS: Hopper loading ... seems pretty high. Any difficulties loading it up?

To the hopper loading, when I had a hernia repaired last year I could not lift for a few weeks. What I did was use a reasonable size scoop. I think anyone able to live at home on their yet, can usually lift a couple pounds at a time. But hopper loading for the elderly and anyone with limitations would need to be addressed as a 40 pound bag is way heavier than a piece of wood or two.

I recall some of the issues you mention. Youtube has a good video somewhere that showed the issue of pellet ash build up on the grate below the pellet entrance. I forget what the term is for that grate. They made a new one with just a very small change in dimension and it starting working great. I think pellet bridging was also an issue early on and they have fixed it as far as I have heard.

How often are you away from home and how long at a time? Run time on a pellet stove is limited by hopper size and consumption rate. From what I have read about the Wiseway, they can be fussy to keep running... not sure if that has been improved.

For basement installs, it is recommended that you have a OAK (outside air kit) as your combustion air has to be acquired from the living space without it. A basement has less area for air infiltration from outside so negative pressure situations do occur (not enough combustion air fast enough).

My garage is loaded with commercial diving equipment, tools, Kubota, etc. so there was no room for pellets. I built a "pellet palace" a metal clad shed dedicated to the storage of pellets. They stay dry, out of the way but accessible.

Pellet usage depends on size of house, insulation values, external temperatures. Try a search top right to see what the norms are...

This is my first year with a pellet stove so I currently have > 1 ton of pellet bags stacked around the walls of my lounge. Looks like a fox hole or machine gun nest :). Obviously I do need a storage area and I see you mentioned you are using a metal shed, does this keep them secure enough from damp? Do you move the bags into the house in the fall?

Oh and for those Wiseway pellet stoves, I looked into them awhile back and they have issues,or at least they did. Also way over priced. You can buy 2 Serenitys that money with proper warranty and support.

Thanks

Last edited:
I was the OP one one of the linked threads. I still use my wiseway stove on a daily basis. I do live in WA state where douglas fir pellets are the most common and what the designer of the stove used. Most people that had problems lived on the east coast and used hardwood pellets instead of softwood pellets. This makes a difference due to the density of the ash and the build up of clinkers. I know that they made some changes to the secondary burn plate with cross shaped holes instead of the original design to help allow the ash to fall through.

The hopper holds one bag of pellets - 40 pounds it will not hold anymore than that. My 5' tall wife can lift the bag high enough to pour it in. However if 40 lb bag is too heavy a scoop could be used.

This will be my 4th winter with the stove. By the end of the second year I fell into a routine where I start the stove around 9 - 10 PM. Let it max out in temp (about 30 mins) and then turn it to low (open the air grate). I then let it burn over night. In the morning I shake the secondary burn plate and turn it back to high for about 30 - 60 minutes. Depending on outside temps I might shut it off for the day or let it burn on low until dinner time. I will then shut off the pellet supply and let it burn out by 5 - 6 PM. It is too hot to set across from the stove on the couch and watch tv on all but the coldest of days.

I get about 22 hours of burn time from a bag of pellets. I use about 6 bags a week during Dec - Mar. 2 1/2 tons gets me through the winter.

Since the stove is basically a wood stove that burns pellets and driven by draft the chimney design also plays an important role in how well the stove performs. My install is basically a 15 foot straight shot. I have two 5 foot sections of 3 inch pellet stove pipe then two 45 degree elbows to gain clearance from the rafter with another 5 foot section of pipe. So my draft is pretty good and that helps my performance in addition to pellet types.

Mike

Obviously I do need a storage area and I see you mentioned you are using a metal shed, does this keep them secure enough from damp? Do you move the bags into the house in the fall?

We removed part of the decking around the house and the 2x6s were still sound so I re-used them for framing the shed. There was a metal door w/frame at the local landfill. I had to buy a sheet of plywood and the metal siding for the sides and roof. Photo of it loaded ... Three pallets of Spruce Pointes!

Pellet Palace.JPG

I haven't seen anyone answer this question. The electrical AC power that supplies your house is in the form of a sine wave. Many inverters produce a square wave. Some electronics don't respond well that that. If using a generator, you should also know if it produces a sine wave. Below is what a sign wave looks like (can't seem to resize it);

Simple_sine_wave.svg

Below is a square wave (this one seems to size better):

Distortion_Square-Wave.gif

We removed part of the decking around the house and the 2x6s were still sound so I re-used them for framing the shed. There was a metal door w/frame at the local landfill. I had to buy a sheet of plywood and the metal siding for the sides and roof. Photo of it loaded ... Three pallets of Spruce Pointes!

View attachment 188775

3 tones crammed in there like sardines, and no issues with damp?I could easily do something like this.Only issue I see is lugging bags of pellets into the house in the dead of winter. Do you ever keep extra leftover bags stored in there over to the next season without issues?

No issues with damp ... The lugging in isn't so bad and far better than being in the house as there can be issues with pellets off-gassing. Had around 40 bags that sat all summer and burned just fine. The build went a whole lot easier since I snagged the Hubby's Paslode. Used his grinder with cut-off wheel to cut the tin to size. Hubby helped with securing the roof tin:)

No issues with damp ... The lugging in isn't so bad and far better than being in the house as there can be issues with pellets off-gassing. Had around 40 bags that sat all summer and burned just fine. The build went a whole lot easier since I snagged the Hubby's Paslode. Used his grinder with cut-off wheel to cut the tin to size. Hubby helped with securing the roof tin:)

Does the shed have any ventilation is is it completely closed in?

Only problem I see with that shed is the same one I have with my wood shed. If it doesn't have a back door if you don't burn everything in it every year, year after year, you end up with some really old stuff in the back.

Does the shed have any ventilation is is it completely closed in?
Slight openings under the eves on the sides.
Only problem I see with that shed is the same one I have with my wood shed. If it doesn't have a back door if you don't burn everything in it every year, year after year, you end up with some really old stuff in the back.
BB, difference with pellets is I don't buy enough at one shot to keep me going for the next three years... I had 20 bags to move out of the way to start fresh. Compared to stacking the new 180, not a big deal. Gets interesting when you get up by the roof line ... think I only smacked my head a couple times this year;lol

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.