Non EPA stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axe Wood

Jul 17, 2009
Central MA 1000 ft up
Hi All: New here, and new to burning wood (at least in my house). We're "testing the water" this year, and the chimney is in ready to go.
But before I buy an exepnsive stove, we were going to test our tolerance for this with the one I already own - an Upland Model 27.
I've got the manual but my quetion is, can you get a non-EPA certified stove inspected by the town? (realizing of course, each town is different).
My building dept. tells me all I need to do is to meet the clearances as specified in the manual. That simple?

Any thoughts on this would be great.
Thanks!

PM the webmaster here. He used to own the Upland Stove Company. He probably built your stove.

Dunno about where you live. In Oregon, they'd never issue the permit, much less conduct an inspection of the installation. State law prohibits new installs of pre-EPA woodstoves. If the thing had been in service since the pre-EPA days and never been moved, then it could continue in service...but once it's disconnected and removed from service, by law, it cannot be returned to service. Your area may treat the situation differently. Rick

fossil said:
Dunno about where you live. In Oregon, they'd never issue the permit, much less conduct an inspection of the installation. State law prohibits new installs of pre-EPA woodstoves. If the thing had been in service since the pre-EPA days and never been moved, then it could continue in service...but once it's disconnected and removed from service, by law, it cannot be returned to service. Your area may treat the situation differently. Rick

no permits for nonepa model here for 7yrs....

fossil said:

you'd never know from looking at craigslist.

madrone said:
fossil said:

you'd never know from looking at craigslist.

well, how many folks actually pull a permit? 10-20% want one in retro jobs ime. out in the more rural areas we even see new construction w/o permiting from time to time...

oh, sure. it's not a surprise, but it's not very wise. You may never get busted for installing one, but your insurance agent will probably raise his eyebrows a little should you ever need to call him. The reasoning behind the law makes sense as well, but is lost on most people buying and selling the old stoves.

Axe Wood said:
Hi All: New here, and new to burning wood (at least in my house). We're "testing the water" this year, and the chimney is in ready to go.
But before I buy an exepnsive stove, we were going to test our tolerance for this with the one I already own - an Upland Model 27.
I've got the manual but my quetion is, can you get a non-EPA certified stove inspected by the town? (realizing of course, each town is different).
My building dept. tells me all I need to do is to meet the clearances as specified in the manual. That simple?

Any thoughts on this would be great.
Thanks!

also at 1000 feet here...welcome aboard

Thanks for your input folks.
I did PM the webmaster this morning and hey, worst case, I go out and get a good stove after a few test runs with the 27. Of course, this is all to convince my other half that burning wood is worth the "mess" (that coming from someone who is cold all the time).
We are only heating the downstairs of a 1400 sq. ft. house, and I'm a little tired of not setting the thermostat above 64 because of the price of oil.
Might as well put to use the 10 wooded acres... :coolgrin:

That is a great little stove and the manual clearly states the clearances.....which, BTW, are probably overkill (they were generic, I think).

You should have no problem installing that stove here in Ma.
The Building official will probably accept the manual pages or literature (we have that posted in our wiki also) as proof of the listing and clearances.

In short, I see no problems.....with the use of that stove. Let me know here on the thread if you need any other info. You probably found the page in the wiki with the manuals and literature already...hopefully.

No problems for me a year ago with getting an old Vigilant inspected. In fact the inspector didn't pay much attention to the stove....or the chimney for that matter.....just gave a glance, said "nice stove", and handed me the certificate.

Just as long as you don't live in Medford. :lol:

Axe Wood said:
BrotherBart said:
Just as long as you don't live in Medford. :lol:

Huh? Have an experience there?
Or perhaps at one time, you were Inspector Clouseau himself! "Hmmm...does your stove burn?"... :lol:

Just saying it would be a cold day in hell before I tried to get a permit to install a stove made or sold by Craig Issod in Medford, Mass. :lol:

Ah, Medford NJ is my old haunt....
BUT, medford ma may be the home of the worlds toughest building official......

He'll go for an upland, but not a stove name which starts with a V and sounds german.....

No, BB....I think you are confusing the towns. Our good friend is SOUTH of Boston, near the Pats stadium I think......medford is north.

Long story, newbies....

Webmaster said:
BUT, medford ma may be the home of the worlds toughest building official......

He'll go for an upland, but not a stove name which starts with a V and sounds german.....

No, BB....I think you are confusing the towns. Our good friend is SOUTH of Boston, near the Pats stadium I think......medford is north.

Long story, newbies....
I searched the member list for him and I see he's gone. Used to be a lot of good times reading his posts! :lol:

In short, I see no problems.....with the use of that stove. Let me know here on the thread if you need any other info. You probably found the page in the wiki with the manuals and literature already...hopefully.[/quote]

Hi There: Since you were kind enough to offer...actually, I could use more help.
Pulled the 27 out of storage today to wire brush it, and found that the baffle is missing. :down:
Everything else seems to be intact. Any idea if there are parts available anywhere?

I'm assuming at this point it's a matter of sending out requests and getting lucky enough to find one in someones garage...

Let me know if there's a snowball's chance in h*** or not!
Thanks!

Axe Wood said:
BrotherBart said:
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/ shows to have them available for $116.33 apiece.

Much obliged....see what else I can dig up. That's almost what the stove is worth!

Actually it is more than the stove is worth. :coolsmirk:

Webmaster said:

Is there a specific reason why, or does he just not like Vogelzang for some reason

Adam_MA said:
Webmaster said:

Is there a specific reason why, or does he just not like Vogelzang for some reason

When many people hear the word "Vogelzang" they only think of the cast iron non-UL box stoves and know nothing about the UL and EPA complaint stoves like your Defender.

Ahhh that makes sense. I figured it must be something along those lines. It would suck for sure to buy one of the new EPA model stoves, build out a nice area for it, and have it installed just for some ignorant SOB to refuse to pass you.

Status
Not open for further replies.