NON GASSER REVIEWS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91LMS

Oct 20, 2011
MAINE
at this stage of my addition project and heating sytem revamp a gasser does not seem to be in my budget so i am looking at conventional boilers. the biasi 3wood and new horizon fd-42 seem to have the most of my interest. looking at about 3700 to get into one of those but have seen mention of gasset prices being close to that. anyone care to share what they have paid for a lower end gasser or some input on either of those two conventional boilers?

Hi
There are a couple of new old stock Econoburn's on ebay,they are starting at a discounted price.
Thomas

thanks, not sure with my access to wood that the extra 1500 is worth the investment. from what i have been told as long as i am not building a smudge or burning green wood the biasi doesnt make creosote to the degree of the complaints in have seen. i will have great draft on an indoor chimney 30 ft. tall. not sure if that makes a differance or not. gasser's are a huuuuuuuge investment!

You might look at a royal boiler. Made in wisconsin. Very well built heavy unit, boiler plate steel. I bought a good used one for 1200.00. ANSI certified etc.

Attachments

• wood boiler pic.jpg
    wood boiler pic.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 621
have looked at those but havent seen anything used out there in my area. found an nti but they still wanted 3500 for it used

There was a Biasi on Craigslist in Standish for $2475, but the posting was on 9/27. May be worth a call to see if it's still available.

In the non gasser genre' it is mighty tough to find anything built better than a Royall. They are ASME construction and use steel that is heavier gauge than most gassers.

I have had excellent customer feedback on the ones we have installed for people. From combustion measurements taken on one near my home (easy to check) I would say they will crank out an honest to goodness 65-70% efficiency or about double most OWB's. They also appear to be far cleaner burning than any OWB I have come across.
You'll find that the firebox on both the FD-42 and the Biasi is much smaller than the Royall and they present more pain when it comes to cleaning and dealing with ashes also. In a perfect world both the Biasi and the FD or Buderus (same thing) might offer a few points higher efficiency but it comes at a cost in the ease of use department.
The Royall line is all fan forced draft (hotter fire faster) whereas the other three are natural draft.

http://www.royallfurnace.com/home-mainmenu-1.html

91LMS said:
thanks, not sure with my access to wood that the extra 1500 is worth the investment. from what i have been told as long as i am not building a smudge or burning green wood the biasi doesnt make creosote to the degree of the complaints in have seen. i will have great draft on an indoor chimney 30 ft. tall. not sure if that makes a differance or not. gasser's are a huuuuuuuge investment!
If you are running the Biasi flat out into storage with dry wood(under 20 percent) you might be ok. When you try to idle a non gasser thats when you get creosote with some. The Biasi is a cast iron sectional with not only a lot of surface area with the casting shape, the cast iron itself has 3 times the surface area of plate steel. Just more chance of dropping flue gas temps under idle condition. Randy

heaterman and singed eyebrow, thanks for your response. this is the kind of responses i was hoping for.... the biasi on craigslist is long gone:( anyone have any experience with nti's, have a possible line on a used one. i dont see any prices on king's new, i had looked at their gassers and they were biiiiiiiig money. i am open to anything used and cheap at this point, lol.

91LMS said:
... i am open to anything used and cheap at this point, lol.
Everyone understands the $$ thing - I think these days most of us say "I can't afford that" a lot more often than we used to. One thing you need to keep in mind with a boiler, is the cost of additional, required components, along with installation (unless you DIY). Things like controls, pumps, expansion tanks, and copper can make "cheap" become not-so-cheap in a hurry. Another cost factor might be transporting and getting the boiler into your basement (unless again you can DIY). If you can find a good used boiler at a decent price, that would be great, but if not, how about a cat wood stove? You didn't mention if you are currently heating with a wood stove. If not, have you considered that as a (less expensive) intermediate step, until you can get the additional funds for a quality boiler? If you do already use a wood stove, are you concerned about being able to heat your new addition? If so, could fans move enough heat to take care of most of it, and use a small space heater to supply a little extra heat on the coldest days?

i do currently heat with a stove as additional to baseboard in my basement. i was only using it nights and weekend and it worked well. i will have a wood stove on my main floor but i know i wont be able to get my hearth built and chimney wrapped in stone this year. i had plans of putting the king i have in the basement in the new portion of basement but with going to radiant heat i am going to have to insulate my floor and figured it would cut down on the affectiveness of the woodstove. i will have to have the radiant hooked up to the oil regardless for backup, so a furnace seems to make more sense.

91LMS said:
i do currently heat with a stove as additional to baseboard in my basement. i was only using it nights and weekend and it worked well. i will have a wood stove on my main floor but i know i wont be able to get my hearth built and chimney wrapped in stone this year. i had plans of putting the king i have in the basement in the new portion of basement but with going to radiant heat i am going to have to insulate my floor and figured it would cut down on the affectiveness of the woodstove. i will have to have the radiant hooked up to the oil regardless for backup, so a furnace seems to make more sense.

91LMS how far are you willing to travel south? I know of an older Tarm 404 in a basement in Auburn that the owners are looking to get rid of. They may even give it to you if you get it out of there basement. I can find out for you if you want. Let me know Brian

yeah find out brian i am more than interersted at that price. auburn isnt out of the question by anymeans.

i am hoping there is a way out that does not include stairs, i see a dry weight of 1430 lbs on that 404

91LMS said:
i am hoping there is a way out that does not include stairs, i see a dry weight of 1430 lbs on that 404

Well I know a guy that could probably get it out of the basement for a reasonable price. He is located in Lewiston.

Let me know if you want his contact info.

THANKS GUYS HOPEFULLY THIS WILL MATERIALIZE.

STILL INTERESTED IN ANY REVIEWS ON NTI BOILERS ALSO.

91LMS said:
have looked at those but havent seen anything used out there in my area. found an nti but they still wanted 3500 for it used

I had to drive to southern Minnesota from central MO (750 MI) to get my Royal, but worth it. One long/long day! Not many indoor wood boilers in this area.

91LMS I will get a hold of them tomorrow and let you know. Where in northern maine are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.