non-Kalifornia-overcomplex gas can spouts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
OK, disclaimer up front- I support all reasonable steps to improve environmental quality and am aware of the importance of reducing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), including leaking fuel fumes, in order to do so.

But these new mandated self-closing spouts are idiotic.

Every one I have tried, after using them on several makes and models of gas cans, and buying another couple of types in hopes of finding one I won't hate, either jams in some way, breaks, or requires you to have a third hand to hold the spout open while you use the other two hands try to make sure that the 5 gallon can actually pours into the intended tank, funnel, whatever, without slippage/ spillage.

If you use one hand to run the springloaded spout while holding/ steering a full five gallon gas can with the other remaining hand, it is hard to not spill along the way (especially when fueling something small and tippy like a saw)-- releasing lots of VOCs that you wouldn't have released if you'd just been using a plain old fashioned spout.

IMHO, this mandate is stupid, as it results in products that don't work _and_ spillage of gas that need not spill

Tried getting plain old fashioned spouts at a hardware store in Quebec, but it's nothing but overcomplicated ones there, too.

Can people suggest ways to get or make a spout that's just a spout that fits common 5 gallon cans?

I realize that's probably some violation of something, and in this case don't particularly care. My goal is to NOT spill gas that shouldn't be getting spilled and releases VOCs when spilled. Come arrest me.

Thanks

pybyr said:
OK, disclaimer up front- I support all reasonable steps to improve environmental quality and am aware of the importance of reducing Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), including leaking fuel fumes, in order to do so.

But these new mandated self-closing spouts are idiotic.

Every one I have tried, after using them on several makes and models of gas cans, and buying another couple of types in hopes of finding one I won't hate, either jams in some way, breaks, or requires you to have a third hand to hold the spout open while you use the other two hands try to make sure that the 5 gallon can actually pours into the intended tank, funnel, whatever, without slippage/ spillage.

If you use one hand to run the springloaded spout while holding/ steering a full five gallon gas can with the other remaining hand, it is hard to not spill along the way (especially when fueling something small and tippy like a saw)-- releasing lots of VOCs that you wouldn't have released if you'd just been using a plain old fashioned spout.

IMHO, this mandate is stupid, as it results in products that don't work _and_ spillage of gas that need not spill

Tried getting plain old fashioned spouts at a hardware store in Quebec, but it's nothing but overcomplicated ones there, too.

Can people suggest ways to get or make a spout that's just a spout that fits common 5 gallon cans?

I realize that's probably some violation of something, and in this case don't particularly care. My goal is to NOT spill gas that shouldn't be getting spilled and releases VOCs when spilled. Come arrest me.

Thanks

x2

X3 we have all different styles at work
and not one of them does what its supposed to
they are all junk
glad I still have a couple of old cans at home

I live in Missouri and intentionally bought one of those spouts. I needed to remember why we moved from California in 1990. Also, I was losing my ability to swear creatively. Not much out here in the Ozarks to frustrate me so creative swearing was slipping away. I am happy to report the new spout does the trick. I can swear like the old days and remember why we moved. Thanks, spouts.com.

For saw gas I mix it in a 2 1/2 or 5 gallon can then use a funnel to pour it into a 1 gallon anti freeze or winshield washer fluid jug for field use filling saws.
I have taken the cap off antifreeze jugs and drilled a hole slightLEE smaller than a piece of rubber fuel line and inserted in hole for a filler tube. Works good and doesn't leak if you drill the hole the right size.
2 gallon jugs ( one for gas and one for oil) and a small Army surplus ammo can for tools fit niceLEE in a milk crate and keeps stuff from bangin around in the truck bed.

I have some of these, 2 gallons and 5 gallons:
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Safe-Funnel-Ui-10-Rs-Metal/dp/B004XNBDME

21Eft8+yWwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Watch garage sales for old ones. You can usually pick them up for a buck.

I'll use the new ones for the lawnmower, but keep an old one for the snowblower. Screwing around with the nozzle at 4am in below zero weather and snow blowing in my face does not appeal to me.

For the boat I keep my eyes open for WWII Gerry cans. My nozzle foir them followed my father home from Vietnam. It still works just fine.

Matt

There is a plastic can that is legal AND doesn't drive me up a wall every time I use it. Only one I've found other than the metal safety cans that actually works. Not only are the metal cans very expensive, anybody living in a climate with cool humid days knows that you can get condensation inside a metal can that ruins your fuel and rusts your can. Check these out.

http://www.nospill.com

Attachments

• NoSpillCans.jpg
    NoSpillCans.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 569
I hate the stupid things as well, have lost every one of those damn springs into a fuel tank at one point or another. After you lose them, you can only put 3 or 4 gallons in the bleeping can even when driving home from the gas station carefully. +1 on Lee's funnel solution, I do the same thing on everything but the small equipment. I have a couple old 2.5 tanks that I guard with my life for that stuff.

Great suggestions all, thanks.

Between my dad and I we now have at least a half dozen of the modern plastic cans, all of which either came with the damnable idiot-spouts or else their original spouts cracked from age, leaving only the idiot-spouts as anything buy-able that fits and that does not cost more than a new plastic can.

The no-spill looks like the ticket if/ when I go to buy something.

If money grew on trees, I'd get a batch of the real NATO-type metal cans- they make everything else seem like garbage; alas, money does not grow on trees, so I only have one of those, to go on my Russky bike's sidecar.

I am going to continue to try to beat my brain against a way to retrofit some kind of non-pathetic and non-cost-prohibitive spout onto the modern plastic cans that I have kicking around. Will report back if I come up with something.

Again, I support the idea of trying to do something about VOCs and their role in air pollution, just can't believe that such a counter-productive (spill-inducing) and failure prone product has been rammed down all throats and is (other than specialized and non-widely-distributed products) the ONLY thing on the market.

MasterMech said:
There is a plastic can that is legal AND doesn't drive me up a wall every time I use it. Only one I've found other than the metal safety cans that actually works. Not only are the metal cans very expensive, anybody living in a climate with cool humid days knows that you can get condensation inside a metal can that ruins your fuel and rusts your can. Check these out.

Does no spill Jill come with the can's? :)

MofoG23 said:

Unfortunately, mine did not. Nor did mine come with the "extra wide view strip" on the ends. This makes it almost impossible to see exactly how much gas you put in it when you make your mix. No problem... I'll just get a new one with the view strips for mix and use the old one for straight gas in the mower, tiller, snowblower, etc. Hopefully I'll get Jill as an accessory to my new one.

Aside from that flaw (now corrected), I think they are great. Tough plastic. Easy to use. No fumes in the vehicle. No spills all over the saw. I really like those metal cans for durability, but the square shape of the plastic ones packs into tight spaces better. The fatal flaw of all my old plastic cans was the material getting old and cracking (usually the vent cap disintegrates first). I took about six of them to the recyclers this spring. The new cheapos you get at HD and such (the ones with that annoying filler cap with the spring inside)... I hate those things with a passion. The No-Spill is tons better, and I believe Bailey's has them on sale for the summer.

MofoG23 said:
MasterMech said:

Sure would seal the deal wouldn't it? I felt compelled to watch both demo videos, lol. ;-P

MasterMech said:
MofoG23 said:
MasterMech said:

Sure would seal the deal wouldn't it? I felt compelled to watch both demo videos, lol. ;-P

LOL - so did I....

velvetfoot said:
That's what I have too, but I never saw a 2 gallon one.
It replaced an earlier model with the much more convenient rubber hose type spout.

My saw gas can is a one gallon plastic jug that has been growing a fairly nasty black mold on the outside since we switched to the corn additive.

Jill's jug looks like it should be dispensing beer.

I have one of the cheapo ones from Home Depot. The spring loaded valve thing fell apart pretty quickly. I was able to break it enough that it now functions like the old style spout. It still has the snap on cover and it closes pretty tightly.
One question. I understand that a tightly closed can will contain the fumes, but once it is opened to pour don't all the contained fumes come out anyway? They just come out in one big poof instead of slowly.

billb3 said:

My saw gas can is a one gallon plastic jug that has been growing a fairly nasty black mold on the outside since we switched to the corn additive...

I wonder if that is the same mold that grows near corn likker stills. Any mold guys on here.

Those EPA plastic gas cans are complete crap. I've tried several different ones. Fortunately I own eight of the old 5 and 6 gallon jugs (spectre) that I intend to hang onto forever, if I can. I can still get replacement spouts, caps, orings for them.

After my last 1 gallon EPA can spout fell apart (which is the one I use for my saw pre-mix), I found that an empty 1 gallon Arizona Tea jug is made of a particularly heavy clear plastic that you can see through, has made a fine gas jug. Its much heavier than an old anti-freeze container and less prone to leak.

If you use alternative plastics, make sure to test them first. Put a little gas in one and leave it exposed to bright sunlight for a day. Compare that gas to fresh gas to see if it is cloudy at all.

The Eagle safety cans have a metal screen in the spout that's not too deep, and I didn't seen an easy way of taking it out; makes it harder to refill.
I stick the funnel into the spout at the gas station.

Flatbedford said:
I have one of the cheapo ones from Home Depot. The spring loaded valve thing fell apart pretty quickly. I was able to break it enough that it now functions like the old style spout. It still has the snap on cover and it closes pretty tightly.
One question. I understand that a tightly closed can will contain the fumes, but once it is opened to pour don't all the contained fumes come out anyway? They just come out in one big poof instead of slowly.

Other than spill prevention, it all does seem pretty pointless doesn't it? But SSSSSHHHHHH! Lest we make too much noise and the CARB or EPA decide we need vapor recovery devices on our fuel cans! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.