non-Kalifornia-overcomplex gas can spouts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of these, can't find anything wrong with them. Tip it up, get the spout where you need it first. The open the handle and empty the can. Simple and it seems to work just fine.

179055_lg.jpg

I however, cannot remain enthused about this little bastard.

gascan[640x480].JPG

Spout is jammed and it won't open so I just take the whole spout off and pour the gas into my mower.

mayhem said:

gascan[640x480].JPG

That's the one that I ripped the valve out of and now use like an old fashioned one.

mayhem said:
I have a couple of these, can't find anything wrong with them. Tip it up, get the spout where you need it first. The open the handle and empty the can. Simple and it seems to work just fine.

179055_lg.jpg

gascan[640x480].JPG

Spout is jammed and it won't open so I just take the whole spout off and pour the gas into my mower.

Spray a dry/silicone lube arund the moving parts of the spout. Works great for awhile. Repeat. Get fed up, buy a No-Spill. :)

Those no spill plastic cans look nice.
Of course, I'm going to have to wait til the 5 eagle 5 gallon cans rust out.
Yes, they're crazy expensive, I think more so lately - maybe double.

PS: No Spill Jill was VERY convincing!

velvetfoot said:
The Eagle safety cans have a metal screen in the spout that's not too deep, and I didn't seen an easy way of taking it out; makes it harder to refill.
I stick the funnel into the spout at the gas station.

A pair of needle nose pliers will pull out the screen fairly easily.

I use one of those shaker style siphons for my gas moving, another better way is the ones with the gas pump looking hose on the gas can, you squeeze the handle and it pumps the gas if you get the can higher the gas will just flow once you get it going. For my Kerosene transfering I put a valve stem from an inner tube on the barrel and us a 12v air pump for the tires to pump out my barrels, a nice piece of pex friction fit into a spare cap makes a perfect hose for the out side. The 12v inflator never shows any pressure on the gauge as it doesn't take much to push the fuel out.
I also have one of those battery powered pumps that sits in a 5 gal can and pumps it out quickly. I don't use those lousy spouts at all

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10801-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI
http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-DuraMax-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TYW896BYG9KMGV5DNCE

I have seen the first one and the last one on sale at slowes and Home despot

Just rescued another old style 2.5 gallon jug from the side of the raod.

Whenever I see em, I grab em. These new jugs aggrivate me.

Status
Not open for further replies.