Non-premium pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paula

Dec 21, 2005
I am new to pellet stoves-but after just a couple of months am completely impressed with the amount of heat our very old (1993)Breckwell puts out. However, I underestimated how many pellets we would go through this year. After a couple weeks of trying I just found out that our local Agway actually has some pellets-but they are the non-premium kind ($218/ton). I still have about 35 bags of the premium pellets and am wondering if mixing the premium with the "bark" pellets might minimize the problems. I was going to buy a single back to try it first. Any suggestions?

The stove should burn them ok, but non-premium pellets typically produce much more ash and much less heat output. Mixing them with the premium pellets is an excellant idea if nothing else is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.