Non Scientific Pellet Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demsta80

Feb 15, 2010
NE Mass
I recently bought 3 bags of okies, LG, and Cubex for test purposes before I make a 2-3 ton buy for next year. Results: LG burned thru 3 bags in 56 Hrs in my Harman Invincible insert set rm temp@ 70-72. Great heat, no fines or clinkers, about 5 ozs of ash heavy duty bag nice but not cost effective v gd pellet though. Next Okies some fines, nice hot burn same stove settings and the least amt of ash ever in my 5 yrs doin pellets. Loved them though can be pricey and hard to get I found em in NH @250/T. Cubex hardwood great heat v little fines bout 3-4 ozs ash real nice pellet again $ but I intend to buy 1/2 ton to blend with the okies gives clean hot long burn. Went with the Okies. Thanks for all the pellet posts it helped me narrow my buy.
Demsta

Welcome to the forum demsta. You went about buying the pellets the best way....actual burning in your stove.

Enjoy the heat!

Oh, BTW, we love to see pics of new stove installs or new forum members stoves..... preferably burning pics (hint, hint). :cheese:

Thanks for the comeback MAC. Great fun site and fun way to learn while helping others. Stove flic will be forthcoming as its 50 degrees outside Beverly Mass so the stove is on a low burn. I just finished squeezing 2T of Okies into the shed. May buy more as prices drop. Thanks Have a great day if the snow was gone I could go across the st and get a quick nine holes in. FORE

Demsta,

Welcome to the forum! Where did you buy the Okies and for how much? Also curious as to where you got the Cubex.

If your nine holes refer to Bill Flynn or Wenham, then I only live 7 miles up the road from you!

Demsta

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing. Glad you could join us here and Welcome.

Your the second person I have heard that is mixing Okies and Cubex pellets. I really like the Cubex pellets they topped my favorite list. But like you said, Pricey buggers. Hoping the spring prebuy gives us a break on the price. I usually can get the Turmans for a bit cheaper and there pretty close to the Cubex. Okies are another good pellet.

Have you tried the Spruce Pointes and Hamers yet?

I have enjoyed trying all the different brands this year and actually find it to be kinda fun. Kind of like a hobby to me anyway.

Again welcome and enjoy your stay
jay

jtakeman said:
Demsta

I really like the Cubex pellets they topped my favorite list. But like you said, Pricey buggers.

jay

Take a road trip $235 picked up! LOL We might have them cheaper in a month or two also waiting to hear back from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.