Non sliding hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubbz

Jan 18, 2007
Pocono Mts, Pennsylvania
Got an Englander EP 25 insert installed a month ago which I love but the pellets still hang on the sides. I've tried rubbing waxed paper on them with no results and then tried powdered graphite again with no change. Anybody have any other little trick I might try? I wonder if rubbing crocus cloth on the sides might make it slide better?

Been discussed many times (do a search). If the hopper sides are painted, then the only thing to do is to sand them down to bare metal, and use furniture polish, or something like that to make it real slippery. I use Behold spray polish.

I used some extra fine steel wool. Slick as a baby's butt - no sticking, no polish, no graphite.

I asked the same question about a year ago and what i do use a small block of wood and 400 grit sandpaper and sand the heck out of the angled areas. then after that is done you will have a lot of fine medal looks like black dust only bigger particles get them cleaned out how ever you wish i use a shop vac. then comes the steelwool same thing with the dust you will have a really shiney side wall after a few bins of pellets you will have to do it again it will take alot of elbow grease i do it about 5 times a burnning season.you can use a wood wax cleaner aswell but i think this way is best..

All of the above.

You can sand it, polish it, buff it, block it, tape it, or wait it out.

I'm not a lot of help :( I know

I did the graphit a year ago when I asked for help on the same issue. Sprayed again to start the year and going good, I rub it in with a cloth to help smooth and polish.

Good luck

All of the above.

You can sand it, polish it, buff it, block it, tape it, or wait it out.

I'm not a lot of help :( I know
Mad Dog uses KY Jelly, he did not want to let his secret out. ooppz
smiley-ashamed006.gif

Reactions: DexterDay
I used some extra fine steel wool. Slick as a baby's butt - no sticking, no polish, no graphite.
I see a lot of people saying that they bring it down to bare metal. Don't you have a problem with rust. My PDVC is in my basement workshop and I am constantly fighting rust on my tools. Even with a dehumidifier set on max I often see relative humidity of 45 to 50%. I would be worried that if I remove the paint and don't protect the hopper with something else I will have rust perforation in a year or two.

Well if you let the pellets do the buffing the hopper has a fine coat of pellet fines etc... on it.

I let the pellets do the work on mine, it won't take all that long. If you have ridges in your hopper you might have to put some foil tape over them to lessen the pellets chance of catching on the ridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.