Non-uniformity of wood chips - sift/filter for acceptable size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FlyFish'n

Oct 23, 2021
OH
I'm looking at the possibility of using wood chips as fuel. From what a lot of discussions have led to - the biggest issue is the size of the chips in that larger sizes can jam augers.

If seiving the chips to, say, 1/4" or 3/8" (with rabbit fencing or something similar - large hole metal screen material etc) - that seems like it would be one way to get smaller chips and get out the larger stuff.

Does anyone have any thoughts on doing so?

I may be able to get large quantities of chips so on the surface from a quantity perspective - even if I filter out 1/2 of the volume to get an adequate size of chip - I could still get plenty of fuel.

Drying would be a consideration - IE I don't think getting fresh chips, seiving, and tossing them in the stove are a good idea.

Is this a commercial or institutional installation? Small biomass chip operations are a major PITA do to chip sizing and cleanliness. There were numerous small installations in New England in schools and many of them have had significant issues with moving chips. Froling Energy just upgraded their precision dried chip operation in southern NH to supply the demand for uniform partially dried chips. Drying chips is not easy on a continuous basis. Wet chips on the other hand can have close to negative BTU content.

Ideally you want a vibrating screen or disc screen but I have never seen small versions , I think that is what Froling figured out and realized they could sell PDC chips at a premium. They are not the only ones in the region who do chip upgrading. I think the problem with non uniform chips of variable moisture content is why the pellet market came into existence.

I started digging in to wood chip stuff and found an awful lot on industrial size "operations" to process and burn. That is totally not where I was going with it.

I'm just looking for an alternative to pellets in a secondary heat source - intermittent use. Maybe down the road it would be something used more often in a shop or garage, but more of something to fire up if we loose natural gas.

There is a search function on this web site.

Reactions: Washed-Up