Noob with Simpson Pellet-Vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Greetings all,

I have been lurking in here for about a week now. All I can say is wow!!!! What a great bunch of folks here.

In searching these posts you all have answered just about all of my pellet stove installation questions. But, I still have a few more.

Simpson Pellet-Vent seems to retail for around $1.00 an inch. i.e a 36" section is $35.00 or so bucks. I see it also available at The Big Orange store (Home Depot). I know they strong arm some suppliers into meeting what they want to pay for products. Usually at some cost to quality. Is the Pellet-Vent at the Depot any different than what I could get from another retailer? I don't have a problem paying more but I was thinking I would use the Depot for time considerations.

I am thinking I will lay out a hearth pad made of manmade pavers over my linolium floor surrounded with an oak border. Is there any problem with this. I asked my building inspector about this and he seemed to think it was fine.

For the near term I am setting up a used Enviro EF-2 post 2004. For whatever reason the igniter seems to be missing. Can someone recomend a parts supplier. I plan on replacing the stove in the next year or so depending on the budget.

Thats about it for now.

Thanks for any and all answers.
---Nailer---

I have not heard of Simpson making "cheaper" pipe special for big box stores. Be aware there are currently 3 types of Simpson pellet vent out there. Two are discontinued, these would have stickers on them with part numbers that start with "30" or "330". The "30" is Pellet only vent, and the "330" is approved for pellet or corn burning. For 4" the "0" would be a "1". The new pipe is called Pellet Vent Pro and the part numbers have either "3PVP" or "4PVP" in them (3" and 4" respectively). The new venting is approved for pellet and corn burning.

We made a hearth from cement board, tiles and grouted. Has an oak edge. Looks pretty.

Thank you for the prompt response.

I will be purchasing the vent in the next couple of days and getting the materials for the hearth pad.

I hope to have most of the install done this weekend. Hopefully I can get the parts in short order.

Inspector said he usually has same day service on stove inspections if I call in the AM. And he sounded like a nice guy on the phone too.

Thanks again for all of your help.

---Nailer---

Actually there will be a difference soon. Pellet Pro is going to be the hearth retailers version and the big boxes will have the traditional l-vent. When I left the shop in May my pipe distributor told me to be ready for the transistion this year as they were depleting their stock of the traditional and would be carrying the pro exclusively.

Simpson does not make the old venting anymore, so for some time the big box stores will have extra stock of it and on thier shelves, when they run out they will have to switch to PVP also. We ran out of the old stuff months ago and can only get the PVP now. I basically explained this above.

Status
Not open for further replies.