Noodle cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well alrighty, lets say you have a large round you cant pick up. With the round laying bark side on the ground you cut along the bark at the top. What your doing is rip cutting the round instead of cross cutting it. If you chain is cutting square it's really easy to do...just pull the saw away from the round a few time so the large 'noodles' don't starve the saw from oil or air. It can knot up like a soft ball.

I have a few, but I'm not sure I'm getting what you say ..

Attachments

• Photo Library - 0014.jpg
    Photo Library - 0014.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 889
Ja, in that video the noodles plugged the discharge and got carried around the top of the bar. That can be bad for the bar as it will pull some of it into the groove and plug up the oiling and sprocket nose.

4337212015_3b3f571753_o.jpg

Lay your saw on the round like that and cut along the red line...be mindful of LLigetfa's words of caution.

savageactor7 said:
4337212015_3b3f571753_o.jpg

Lay your saw on the round like that and cut along the red line...be mindful of LLigetfa's words of caution.

Is that one of those McCulloch chain saws? They look light!

That's a Jedi saw.

heres some noodles, and heres what we where noodling.

Attachments

• noodling.bmp
    534.5 KB · Views: 636
  • 6 cord silver maple.jpg
    6 cord silver maple.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 656
It looks to me that those "noodles" are the makings of some pretty amazing firestarters if one has the need or the patience.

Takes no patience at all. When I worked on slash and burn, I'd noodle up some dry dead wood and let the heat of the exhaust ignite it. One job I was on, I got paid a per diem for my saw and the only work it did was to noodle up some wood to keep me warm. Talk about your easy money.

lowroadacres said:
It looks to me that those "noodles" are the makings of some pretty amazing firestarters if one has the need or the patience.

its just a matter of having a strong saw and non safety chain

I've done some noodling................

I done some to bigest one was 18lbs put a a big fight sharp teeth stupid catfish

ggans said:

I still think those will/would have split with an axe or a maul.
Save gas, get exercise. :)
Just go easy & let the saw work. Watch that it don't plug up in the sprocket..
Have fun:)

Attachments

• Photo Library - 0014.jpg
    Photo Library - 0014.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 290
Unless you cut those rounds small on purpose for a small stove, the advantage of noodling is you can still cut big logs the correct length for your stove and then cut them in half so you can move them.

As a big bonus, noodling is a lot of fun!

ggans said:

index.php

^Them ain't noodles. They're cookies.

Anyone else getting hungry?

southbound said:
I smoked a pork roast today with some hickory noodles I made last fall...

any pic's?

southbound said:
I smoked a pork roast today with some hickory noodles I made last fall...

The pork part sounds good, but I would have thought the noodles would be a bit on the crunchy side... :lol:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.