Noodling with the Homelite Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDFisherman

Burning Hunk
Sep 17, 2012
So. MD
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Homelite Electric 5-ton splitter. I do not have the funds for a hydraulic one nor the yard space to store it. So it just made sense to buy a small electric one I can store vertically in my shed. I was out cutting and hauling some wood this weekend and take it back to my house where I split it. I typically grab the nice strait pieces because I have always hand split for the past 5 years and leave the crotches in the woods. This time I decided to grab them and give the splitter a test run.

Sure enough when I threw the crotch in the splitter it just laughed at it. Typically at this point I would reach for my wedges and the 10lb sledge. After being in a car accident a few weeks ago and doing some damage to my back, I am now trying to avoid big swings with the maul and hammer. I reached for the trustee 55 rancher and cut vertically into crotch about 1/4 of the way down. Threw it back on the splitter and POP, right through it. I got several crotches split this way (;)not that kind of crotch) and didn't even break a sweat. this was red and white oak.

I have also found I can set the logsplitter up on my tailgate and its a very comfortable working height. You can catch the splits and throw them right on the stack, never let them hit the ground. Heck I can even get the gf to work the splitter and I just load rounds and stack the splits. (she takes all the credit)

Wanted to pass this info along and hope it will help anyone else make their firewooding a little easier.

Great, you might also want to keep keeping those crotch pieces back in the woods, eventually they may wear out your back and 5 ton. Just a thought......

Reactions: MDFisherman
I was thinking about picking one of these up. I have access to a 22-ton gas hydraulic that I borrow for most of my splitting. Might be nice to have one of these around for smaller jobs or when the other is not available. In your straight pieces how quick can you work? Does it move back pretty quick or are you waiting for each piece?

I was thinking about picking one of these up. I have access to a 22-ton gas hydraulic that I borrow for most of my splitting. Might be nice to have one of these around for smaller jobs or when the other is not available. In your straight pieces how quick can you work? Does it move back pretty quick or are you waiting for each piece?

I think it's a 12 second cycle time. It is single stage so theres no big delay like with the gas splitters while they build up pressure. and it returns to the open position very quick. I have found I can toss a block of wood in between the wheel and the ram to make it split quicker (if theres room)

For $300 bucks its hard to beat. and when it quits i'll just return it for a new one at the home depot:)

Thanks for the info... I thought of something else i was wondering...

reading on-line I think it mentions two handed operation, which I think means you have two points of contact in order to get the ram to move probably some sort of safety thing to keep from pinching your fingers? My only thought is, if I am understanding this right, I usually need a hand to pull the lever and another hand to keep the log positioned properly. I haven't looked close at a display model yet just reading online so if you can let me know how that works too it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the info... I thought of something else i was wondering...

reading on-line I think it mentions two handed operation, which I think means you have two points of contact in order to get the ram to move probably some sort of safety thing to keep from pinching your fingers? My only thought is, if I am understanding this right, I usually need a hand to pull the lever and another hand to keep the log positioned properly. I haven't looked close at a display model yet just reading online so if you can let me know how that works too it would be much appreciated!

Yes it's a 2 handed deal. One is a green button that turns on the motor. the 2nd is a lever that moves the ram forward. When you release the lever the ram moves backwards. I have seen a few instances where people drill a hole in this lever and add a rod to make it work with a foot petal. this would not do me any good since I use it on my tailgate.

Actually I can hit both button with 1 hand, thumb on green button and finger on lever. Thank god for big hands!!

I wonder how many of these have been bypassed???

I understand the safety issue but it's a lack of attention and a lawsuit that brings about these feature.

Love mine also! Bought it for similar reasons - cost, storage space, etc. I use it near the house, so the power cord is not an issue. Have not found much that it will not handle. I can also reach the lever and the button with one hand, so I still have a hand free to steady the logs. One day I probably will put a foot pedal onto it just for the convenience. Have put a good amount of wood through this thing and have no complaints. I especially love the lack of motor noise and exhaust!

Mr Whoopee - how have you set up the single foot pedal - I assume that the pedal is attached to the lever - what is hitting the green power button?

My electric is on the stand made for it so I just tied a cord from the lever to the bottom of the stand. And move the cord to the right with my knee, which pulls the lever down, while holding the button down. Leaves my right hand free to maneuver the wood.

I found that as the ram is on its return stroke, if I depress the lever, the ram stops. So then I've got my right hand free to tend to feeding the splitter. If the ram's not back quite far enough for the next piece, I let the lever up until it is, then load & split away. This save a bunch of time, as otherwise the thing goes full cycle every split. This works for me because I only use this little guy on the stand in my shop for re-splitting to accommodate my little Century shop stove. Cabinet just behind it works as a wood "staging"/"receiving" table. I'm usually only re-splitting 3 or 4 larger splits.

Mr Whoopee - how have you set up the single foot pedal - I assume that the pedal is attached to the lever - what is hitting the green power button?

This thread has pictures of the two-pedal mod.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...tter-switch-modification.112528/#post-1497561

When I built the stand, I hinged a pedal to the foot of the stand and put a screw-eye at the free end of the pedal. A piece of nylon cord runs thru the eye and is attached to each of the original pedal mods, allowing one pedal to push the button and pull the lever. I'll post a pic when I get home, unless someone can find it here first.

I have a bungey wrapped around my lever that holds it down - I just pull up on it to retract.

So I guess I'm an evil bypasser. ==c

Ahh very smart! I have been starting the motor and then hitting the lever. How long have you been running your splitter with that setup?

Ahh very smart! I have been starting the motor and then hitting the lever. How long have you been running your splitter with that setup?

I've had the splitter for must be 4-5 years now and added the bungey very soon after I got it. I think I need to update with a new one, it's lost most of its pull & sometimes doesn't hold the lever down quite far enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.