Noodling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Does cutting this way dull a chain faster or not? Been doing some noodles and haven't really noticed any big diff but it would make my life alot easier to do more with the current batch od wood.

don't see how it would make too much difference & I haven't noticed any when I've noodled. You are ussually cutting more wood when noodling vs bucking, so it may seem to dull a bit quicker I guess. I say if it makes things easier, noodle-away!

Dont cut dead center and its not to bad!

Attachments

• noodling.bmp
    534.5 KB · Views: 1,003
I thought this thread was about catching catfish bare handed, so I'll have to adjust my response on the fly, but here goes... I don't see why wood would dull a chain any faster in one direction than another. I don't really think cutting wood dulls a chain much at all, but rather the dirt on the wood dulls the chain. It seems like if you could cut perfectly clean wood, your chain would never go dull, but in reality there is always dirt that dulls the chain. So, this makes me think it is not the orientation of the wood, but rather the cleanliness of the wood that matters.

Wood Duck said:
I thought this thread was about catching catfish bare handed, so I'll have to adjust my response on the fly, but here goes... I don't see why wood would dull a chain any faster in one direction than another. I don't really think cutting wood dulls a chain much at all, but rather the dirt on the wood dulls the chain. It seems like if you could cut perfectly clean wood, your chain would never go dull, but in reality there is always dirt that dulls the chain. So, this makes me think it is not the orientation of the wood, but rather the cleanliness of the wood that matters.

The wood is harder when noodling or milling cross cutting is much easier on chains and saws, But with that said if you go off center its not quite as hard on the chain and saw. (Ripping is much more difficult than cross cut.)

I bought a special ripping chain for my Husky 455 Rancher because I was dulling my regular chain so much when I noodled. The teeth look much different on this chain, the angle is much less on the cutting edge. If nothing else, it must be easier on the saw and bar to use the ripping chain when noodling. Why else would there be cross cut hand saws and ripping hand saws?

Wood Duck said:

Steel wears no matter what you are cutting. The very best old socket slicks (harder than chain cutter steel) that I have put shaving-sharp edges on wear down in about an hour or less of hand paring, even in a very soft wood like northern white cedar. They'll still cut with some effort, but they won't shave hair at all anymore. Not a speck of dirt on this stuff since it's all been re-sawn into planks and run through the planer. On a hard wood like white oak, I'm lucky if I get a hundred cuts before I need to touch them up. If you think about how many separate cuts a chainsaw cutter makes as it's going past the wood fibers at 45 MPH, it's a miracle they cut at all after a few minutes.

fire_man said:
I bought a special ripping chain for my Husky 455 Rancher because I was dulling my regular chain so much when I noodled. The teeth look much different on this chain, the angle is much less on the cutting edge. If nothing else, it must be easier on the saw and bar to use the ripping chain when noodling. Why else would there be cross cut hand saws and ripping hand saws?

Good question ripping chain is cut to 10 degrees and is for a smoother surface only...With that said I do think the saw runs smoother with 10 degrees when ripping.

Thanks guys,

I know how to cut wood with table/mitre saws, 60tooth vs ? for cross cuts and stuff. I figured the same rules would apply with a chain. I know when I use a 60tooth blade to rip on the table saw (cuz I'm to lazy to change it for a couple of cuts) I smokes the blade.

My dad gets hurt way more often than I with his cabinet shop. (and he has a stop saw)

Remember when you are noodling you are going with the grain and shaving the wood (thus the noodles) like a plane. When you are ripping when milling you are cutting across the grain. Very different.

wendell said:
Remember when you are noodling you are going with the grain and shaving the wood (thus the noodles) like a plane. When you are ripping when milling you are cutting across the grain. Very different.

noodle and milling are very close to the same thing your just hitting it dead center(when milling) and makes it harder, Thats why its best when noodleing to hit it off center. Both taken from the end of the log.

I guess in Indiana you must do things different. Everywhere else we noodle from the side. ;-)

wendell said:
I guess in Indiana you must do things different. Everywhere else we noodle from the side. ;-)

uh, guess my next question is what you calling the side because everwhere else stands them on end and saw through them like a spliter does. Thats noodling.

smokinjay said:
wendell said:

uh, guess my next question is what you calling the side because everwhere else stands them on end and saw through them like a spliter does. Thats noodling.

Nope, that's ripping. Noodling is cutting through the bark. I've never seen anyone cut through the end.

wendell said:
smokinjay said:
wendell said:

Nope, that's ripping. Noodling is cutting through the bark. I've never seen anyone cut through the end.

lol Thats why they call it noodling and yes you cut right through the end here what the shaving look like noodles....And you right its alot like ripping but you do not want to go dead center it will make it a little eaiser.

Attachments

• noodling.bmp
    534.5 KB · Views: 796
Well, I'd try it both ways but I'm sure you will find it a lot faster and a lot easier on your saw cutting through the bark. Try it and let us know what you find out.

wendell said:
Well, I'd try it both ways but I'm sure you will find it a lot faster and a lot easier on your saw cutting through the bark. Try it and let us know what you find out.

I have done it both ways and most of the time we try to get it in the splitter, and if its to much it get it in there I cut it where it lyes and that normally butt up...I will give it another shot .

Definitely noodle from the side not the end. You won't get any noodles if you don't. Have to cut parrallel to the grain to get those.

BTW - that vid of the Aussie noodling was great - and holy cow that spotted gum is beautiful. Wish I could get some of that for flooring.

Status
Not open for further replies.