Nor' Easter! Bring in the pets!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cogger

Oct 10, 2006
www.facebook.com
Let's see what happens this time around. The past 2 forcasted in 3 weeks in my area have been overated. Them mainstream folks on the news are saying The 100 year storm. Ok, well see. 2 feet is not that bad as seen here in this forecast warning. I have had 4 - 5 feet overnight here back in March 30th, 1992.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 12 PM SUNDAY TO 6 PM EDT MONDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 12 PM SUNDAY TO 6 PM EDT MONDAY.

EXPECT A TOTAL OF 10 TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE...WITH 6 TO 12 INCHES IN THE NORTHERN FOOTHILLS. SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION SUNDAY AFTERNOON... BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES SUNDAY NIGHT. SNOW WILL MIX WITH RAIN AT TIMES MONDAY. ACROSS HIGHER TERRAIN...EXPECT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO BE HIGHER...WITH AROUND TWO FEET OF SNOW ACCUMULATING AT ELEVATIONS OVER 1500 FEET.

IN ADDITION...WINDS WILL GUST TO 40 MPH SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF A HEAVY WET SNOW... AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT POWER OUTAGES. SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS POSSIBLE.

Global warming implies, global, not local.

Here you go!

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-35/1176475579151600.xml&coll=6

I want to see the pics of them in winter coats, hats and gloves holding signs on global warming. Or better yet, they catch a cold from going to the global warming rally!

I'm not saying there is something to GW, or that there isn't anything to the GW thing. It just seems that a rally is a sure way to predict snow... They should really try hosting them in August or something.

Matt

BeGreen said:

Well it ain't occuring here. Matter of fact it is in a cooling trend over the last couple of years. To be global it has to be in all areas. The northeast U.S. is a part of the globe last time I looked. Any more green thoughts?

EatenByLimestone said:
Here you go!

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-35/1176475579151600.xml&coll=6

I want to see the pics of them in winter coats, hats and gloves holding signs on global warming. Or better yet, they catch a cold from going to the global warming rally!

I'm not saying there is something to GW, or that there isn't anything to the GW thing. It just seems that a rally is a sure way to predict snow... They should really try hosting them in August or something.

Matt

The GW conference in NYC on Feb 14th during the blizzard in the NorthEast was cancelled.

The heavy stuff comes in waves here now I just watched these big marble sized snowflakes coming down mixed with heavy rain....... weird
I expect mostly rain here........... as usual this year....

RingOfFire said:
BeGreen said:

Well it ain't occuring here. Matter of fact it is in a cooling trend over the last couple of years. To be global it has to be in all areas. The northeast U.S. is a part of the globe last time I looked. Any more green thoughts?

New England is a -small- part of the globe. Melting permafrost in Siberia and Alaska, glaciers disappearing, ice caps melting and global mean temps are better indicators.

Weather that we can see or feel (at this point) has little or nothing to do with global warming. That's like me waking up in the morning to a sunny day and saying "see, it's not raining", while at the same time someone else is getting flooded.

GW and the buildup of CO - the relationship, is not really a debate. There ARE many debates around the timetable, effects, solutions, etc.

Some debate (against the odds) that it is not caused by us......and certainly there is an element of weather change that is not man-made. Heck, wasn't too long ago that Glaciers were dumping into Long Island Sound.

It's been coming down wet and hard here all day.

It's going to be nasty if we get any real accumulation.

There are probably 2 inches on the ground now.

Matt

Tidal flood waters are the big problem hre. Forcasting 3.5 -4.5 above high water. 2.5 puts water in my parking lot here at work, 3.0 wets the carpets. 4.5 and we are SCREWED. Everything here at our marina is up off the ground 24". Been working at it last 2 days. Praying this ene wind shifts North sooner then later. High tide is 11:00PM here and its not looking pretty.

I am looking at the waves in the back yard... not too bad right now, some rollers coming in across the Sound from Connecticut, but the forecast calls for the worst winds to start piling water up on the beach just before high tide... I just got back from th beach, checked the bulkhead, which is doing just fine, and should have no problems holding off the storm provided we don't get anything more than an 8-10 foot surge, which we wont.... I hope!

-- Mike

PS - Hey WxMan, where are you in Riverhead? We're almost neighbors!

IN MY DREAMS!!.this weather report would be a dream come true for us guys downunder in Australia who love, to use and sell wood fires!!............we are entering our winter here with temps around 90 degreess...........no rain, no wind...........bright sunny days..........the drought downunder is now serious, very serious, water restrctions all over the country with no sign of any break...........dam, I wish it was cold wet and miserable!!!!

Wind picking up pretty good down here but rain is moderate so far.
Glad it's water and not snow!

aussiewoodstoves said:
IN MY DREAMS!!.this weather report would be a dream come true for us guys downunder in Australia who love, to use and sell wood fires!!............we are entering our winter here with temps around 90 degreess...........no rain, no wind...........bright sunny days..........the drought downunder is now serious, very serious, water restrctions all over the country with no sign of any break...........dam, I wish it was cold wet and miserable!!!!

I heard a lot about your drought. I hope you folks get some rain soon.

Matt

Just threw some splits in the Kennebec... have to dry out the liner & chimney a bit. Got a little water down the outside of the flex liner, and... get this... the granite face of my fireplace has some water behind it. The color is a little darker in a few spots, I guess that's where the water got in behind. The bricks are sealed, but I guess after all that rain there's some water intrusion. Oh well... burn baby burn...

-- Mike

Because of the wind rotation out of the east and south east this has been a mostly rain event for us in the White Mtns. Lot of wind and power out many places. Been lucky, still with power.

Still this is not in comparison being a 100 year , or 20 year storm. This area in 20 years has had "The perfect Storm" in 91. The Hurricane with no name off the Maine coast, Hurricanes Bob & Floyd and the back sides of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita...... We 6 inches of wind blown heavy wet snow on the far west side of Rita.

This still is a large major storm here almost acting semi tropical with burst of intermediate rain and the sun trying to bust through the clouds.

Pretty much the same scenario here as where RingOfFire is.
No power outage for me either. Storm of the century? No way.
I've seen much worse here.

Manhan river is about 10X or larger of it's size - flooding and about a foot below hitting the I-Beam of this bridge. Quite a few roads closed around here - square miles of flood plain is - well, flooded!

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 239
Got about 10"on the ground already with about 5" to 6" more to come.
This white stuff is sticking to everything and wow is it heavy to plow.
Did the driveway once with the quad and I see another run at it is definitely in the future.
Whats todays date? 4/16/07, I can't beleive it. If it rains on top of all this snow, along with a quick thaw there is going to be big problems.
The weatherman said last night at 11 PM that it was suppose to be a inch of slush last night and a inch of slush today. What bar did he come out of?

Webmaster said:
Here's why you should always follow directions - notice the sign!

Actually - it is looking a little worse there in that area than I thought earlier, but its been that high before many times. I think I know exactly where that sign is, and I hate to admit it, but in my "younger days" I believe I might have gone against that sign's advice.... uhmmmm... it was peer pressure.... really... it wasn't my fault.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.