N'oreasta Came Through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
50+ gusts, power went out overnight, huge limb in neighbors yard( more wood for me). My stacks made it through! Pics soon.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Im a little north of you and we didn't get it as bad. Wind was howling, but it seems mostly just leaves and small twigs broke free. Cold and wet though. I might have to make a trip to the job site to make sure the house is still standing!

It's going to be in the 70s here this weekend.

fv

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'm planning on searching my neighborhood for down trees as soon as I get home from work!

Lost power for three hours here. No trees down, but a lot less leaves hanging...

50+ gusts, power went out overnight, huge limb in neighbors yard( more wood for me). My stacks made it through! Pics soon.
We did not lose power but I will be on the look out for any downed trees as well!!

I am in SE Mass and have not had my first burn yet. House won't drop below 67.

Have you started burning yet?

Pics attached. Looks like a good 4-5 hrs of work at least. Last pics is my stacks.

20141024_092117.jpg 20141024_092059.jpg 20141024_092023.jpg , looks20141024_092151.jpg

We did not lose power but I will be on the look out for any downed trees as well!!

I am in SE Mass and have not had my first burn yet. House won't drop below 67.

Have you started burning yet?

Yes, in the morning and some early evenings.

Turns out the 2 big branches were the main vertical tree sections, the rest of the tree is side branches and stuff that needed to be trimmed anyway. Probably need to bring the whole tree down.

So the tree guy was here, his recommendation is taking all 5 Norway Maples down and starting over. Apparently, the NM is notorious for crotch rot and all 5 trees show the tell tale signs. He also figures 4 solid cords from the trees.

Does this sound right about NM's?

Reactions: Lakeside
Sounds like your tree guy needs some money. I have Norway maples surrounding my entire house. Grew up with them. Nothing bothers them. My issue is grass doesnt grow under them. And they reproduce invasively.

Yes, I know it's partially sales, but the trees aren't serving their intended purpose, which is a privacy screen. Plus if they fall, they will fall on the neighbors house.

I like your stacks, they look like big bowls of wood. Also looks like a lot of wet wood. I couldnt stand it, i'd have to cover it with something.

Yes, I know it's partially sales, but the trees aren't serving their intended purpose, which is a privacy screen. Plus if they fall, they will fall on the neighbors house.
I have thinned mine out, whether you prune limbs or prune them back to the ground is a personal preference. I was just saying crotch rot is not a characteristic of that tree. The tree guy might have been making a reference to a weak crotch which is different. Its a pruning issue and a growth habit issue.
Our trees were purchased as nursery stock so...you know...a weak crotch is our doing.
In your case with buildings, buildings always come first. And its your wood...you know the saying.
The upside to cutting yard trees is the kitchen and bathroom is close by. I'm not saying don't go for it. :)

4/5 trees in question have various stages of crotch rot. These are nursery trees also about 55 years old, poorly maintained.

I like your stacks, they look like big bowls of wood. Also looks like a lot of wet wood. I couldnt stand it, i'd have to cover it with something.
Thanks, yes I see it now. I just these racks out last May. I plan to cover but haven't got around to it yet. Do you use regular tarps?

I have some sections of thick plastic from the compost bags our city garage uses to turn yard waste into compost. Thick plastic and they last forever and i can cut them to whatever size i need. Only thing i don't like is water collects in them. Next year i will switch to sheds with roofs. Just can't stand seeing my wood piles get rained on or sit buried in snow

Status
Not open for further replies.