Nor'easter watch thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
The snow/rain mix started around 8:00 a.m. here, now its big fluffy flakes:

IMG_1096.jpg

The inaugural lighting of the Englander at 9:00 a.m.:

IMG_1101.jpg

Yep, we're prepared:

IMG_1108.jpg

Looks like you have it under control. It's still quiet here, Precip should begin within the hour.

It just started snowing here in NEPA....
Badfish...I see you stocked up on beer... ;-)Did you get toilet paper too? Betcha ya got diapers... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
It just started snowing here in NEPA....
Badfish...I see you stocked up on beer... ;-)Did you get toilet paper too? Betcha ya got diapers... :lol:

We do a pretty good job of keeping the pantry stocked with the essentials-I'm just limited by fridge space so I'm sure to stock up on fermented goods just before a potential storm ;) We're swimming in diapers at the moment. She just turned a month old yesterday (cue blatant excuse for posting a pic):

Maddy003.jpg

and our garbage output has literally DOUBLED! We pay per can so that is becoming an issue-we may start looking at cloth. BTW the vehicles are covered now-we started getting snow way earlier than predicted. The major snow was forecast for 4 p.m. so we'll see...

BadFish congrats! My son is due in Jan. What's you snow forecast? 8-12 here (Ulster Cty NY)

It sure does look pretty.... :)
Badfish, she is gorgeous!

Attachments

• SNOW 002.jpg
    SNOW 002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 514
  • SNOW 004.jpg
    SNOW 004.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 521
Cute little pumpkin, BF :)

Nice pics, M ... nothing but rain here. Waiting for later when the wind kicks in >:-( I'm out at the museum, and even the cows are inside.

Thanks all-can't resist showing her off! Especially on a day when there's nothing to do but cuddle up with her and watch out the window.

MasterMech said:
BadFish congrats! My son is due in Jan. What's you snow forecast? 8-12 here (Ulster Cty NY)

Congrats to you as well! She is our first and we're tired but having a lot of fun. NW Hunterdon County, NJ is solidly in the 6-10" range. As I type this it's blowing at a 45 degree angle and the trees are beginning to sway. The satellite dish is apparently covered as per the black screen on the TV-the pavement has a good coating too. Thermometer reads 34 degrees, but according to the weather these winds are going to be bringing a 10-15 degree temperature drop with them. Inside is a toasty 74 ;)

1.5"-2" here already on non-paved areas. 85 in the stove room, whew, 75 in the house! No wind yet but it's inevitable.

Just rain so far.

Tired of running an extension cord, a couple months ago I picked up a real transfer switch for our generator but never got around to installing it. Decided what the heck and put it in this morning. I'm sure that means we will never loose power again ;)

Not sure how much longer I'll be posting. The lights have been flickering like a candle. I just took the dog out and every time the wind blows I hear "snap crackle pop." A sickly maple in the backyard has already dropped some medium sized branches. The rest of the trees are sagging heavily. This could get reeeeeeeeeal ugly.

Badfish, hope you keep power. How well does the Englander installation convect without power? Did you test for this?

BeGreen said:
Badfish, hope you keep power. How well does the Englander installation convect without power? Did you test for this?

I have a generator thank goodness, and 12 gallons of gas on hand which should be enough to get us through. My neighbor has gas too-he has no generator so if the street loses power he'll bring his can over along with his family and some beer and we'll make the best of it ;)

Pretty normal here. Heck we have had snow accumulation in October in Virginia three times since 1894. Happens like clockwork every forty years. :mad:

Badfish740 said:
BeGreen said:

I have a generator thank goodness, and 12 gallons of gas on hand which should be enough to get us through. My neighbor has gas too-he has no generator so if the street loses power he'll bring his can over along with his family and some beer and we'll make the best of it ;)

It's good to be prepared, especially with children home. I would still want the Englander to perform modestly well and safely without power. That's why I was wondering if you had ever tested this.

Just call me Gamma the weather gurl.... :smirk:
it is getting prettier...

Attachments

• SNOW 005.jpg
    SNOW 005.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 456
  • SNOW 006.jpg
    SNOW 006.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 461
BTW Congrats to Badfish and MasterMech!! I have 10 month old twins myself and know the feeling.. Just wait till they start crawling, its enough to make a grown man cry :)

Just changed over to snow here. Enjoying one of the last Octoberfests from the back of the frdige....

Stove is lazily cruising at 400, 74F in here.

I'm back for now-generator is running the furnace, modem, fridge, and sump pumps. Going to be a long night-I had to go out and get something for the baby-trees down EVERYWHERE. 36K without power in my county alone. Last I heard statewide was 100K-and we haven't gotten the wind yet...

Ran out to get gas for the generator and broke the windshield wipers on the jeep. Six or so inches in, wet heavy stuff. Power has been in and out, and I figure it will be out soon as every town surrounding us is out and this thing has just started. Trees down everywhere...getting ugly

It just finished passing through here. The wind is coming but it turned out to just be an average day. For the second week in January. >:-( Cold and rain with some snow all day and headed into the twenties tonight.

Well, couple hours in and looks like 4" so far- power on, kids about to watch a movie, new record in the REMKEL household- 76 degrees on the thermo at 31 degrees outside. Generator fueled, wood in the house, and a whole lot of silliness from the youngins....

DAKSY said:
Here's what we're expecting...It started here about 1/2 hour ago...

Took care of that problem on the way home
happy0198.gif

Mix of slush & rain at the moment. 34F here in Icey Hollow.

Glad I brought in the jalapeno plants last night, they are loaded, didn't want to loose them
devil-smiley-029.gif

Its really coming down hard now. Still above freezing thogh.

babies are asleep, just finished a great pot roast dinner courtesy of mrs. J, switched from octoberfest to a nice after dinner glass of wine now with two fires going (the encore and the ooooold fireplace here in the parlor).

Life is good.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.