Normal or too much creosote?? Pic!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Today ill give my stove a good cleaning before the the next cold wave hits our area.I have a good amount of creosote flaking on the sides above the brick and top.Most of the wood is seasoned well but a few less dryer piece's get in the stove from time to time,After the fire gets going the stove seems to burn clean and hot with little or no smoke exiting to the outside.Is this too much creosote?what do others see inside there stoves?.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,115
stanleyjohn said:
Today ill give my stove a good cleaning before the the next cold wave hits our area.I have a good amount of creosote flaking on the sides above the brick and top.Most of the wood is seasoned well but a few less dryer piece's get in the stove from time to time,After the fire gets going the stove seems to burn clean and hot with little or no smoke exiting to the outside.Is this too much creosote?what do others see inside there stoves?.

From my stand-point, creo like that in the stove is no big deal. Whats in the flue? Especially the top third!

If you see little to no smoke while burning,,,Congrats! You're doing better than most.

The inside of my stove changes with different burning habits. When I burn short hotter fires the inside is almost white clean, and when I burn long slow fires the inside gets some dark black creosote areas, especially on the side loading door.

I swept my chimney the other day and ended up with about a quart of black powder and most was at the top. I probably could of waited til the end of the season, but nothing wrong with a mid season sweep for peace of mind.

Thanks for the info so far!Just finished cleaning out the stove and was pretty happy not seeing hardly any creosote build up on the 6 inches or so of ss pipe i swiped attached to the flu collar.Not sure where most of the build up would be in the pipe going up to the top of the roof but if the first foot or so is an indication of how dirty my 6" ss pipe is then i wont be worried to much on the build up inside the stove.

I also inspected mine today, I was happy to see little to no build up, but my chimney has a shine to the inside of it. This is a pic looking up through the chimney from the flue entrance with the help of a light and mirror.

Attachments

• 100_0437.JPG
    100_0437.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 900
That shine has a name. It is known as third stage glaze creosote!

stanleyjohn said:
Thanks for the info so far!Just finished cleaning out the stove and was pretty happy not seeing hardly any creosote build up on the 6 inches or so of ss pipe i swiped attached to the flu collar.Not sure where most of the build up would be in the pipe going up to the top of the roof but if the first foot or so is an indication of how dirty my 6" ss pipe is then i wont be worried to much on the build up inside the stove.

Again, the bottom of the pipe usually won't have much. It is toward the top where you will find the problem. Be sure to check the cap too.

As for the stove, I would not have worried about that in the least. It is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.