Normal Pellet Stove Operating Sounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I just came across page Page 19 in the Lopi 400PS Owner's Manual.

Maybe we take this for granted and that is why it is not included in today's manual. However it is good basic information for people new to pellet stoves. Heck maybe the newer stoves have even more normal operating sounds like the sound of a pot stirrer in a multi-fuel stove.
Does anyone know any other normal sounds not covered here? Many new stoves also have plenty of Beeping noises too right?

See pic below
Click to enlarge

Attachments

• PelletStoveOperatingSounds.jpg
    PelletStoveOperatingSounds.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 476
Normal is no fun.

Yes, I have a Harman P61a Dayton convection blower with bad bearings. Wow what a noise!
Also have an Englander 25-PDVC with a bad lower auger bearings and it has a real squeaky sound!

Do you have any tell tale noises?

Nails on a chalk board or a cat with its tail caught under a rocking chair? I usually catch em while they sound like a squirrel chewing out the dog, if I am lucky.

Pellet stoves make noise? Haven't noticed. :D

Still have a operating 1983 Whitfield. Probably going into the greenhouse in spring. Maybe I keep things to long.

Still have a operating 1983 Whitfield. Probably going into the greenhouse in spring. Maybe I keep things to long.

Nice! Is it a WP1 ? ? That is a collectors item!

I am collecting it I guess because its not really safe without high or low limit switches etc. Not easy to clean either. Simple enough.

Mine is like *blrrrggggblrrrggggblrrrgggg* when the auger is running and then it's like *clink clink clink* when the pellets start dropping, and then it's like *whhhhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrrhrhr* when the blower kicks on. I think those are typical and normal sounds.

I'm very hard of hearing. If I start to hear noises from my stove, something needs fixing.

Hello

I just came across page Page 19 in the Lopi 400PS Owner's Manual.

Maybe we take this for granted and that is why it is not included in today's manual. However it is good basic information for people new to pellet stoves. Heck maybe the newer stoves have even more normal operating sounds like the sound of a pot stirrer in a multi-fuel stove.
Does anyone know any other normal sounds not covered here? Many new stoves also have plenty of Beeping noises too right?

See pic below
Click to enlarge
I think that was a really good idea by Lopi. I wonder how many stove shops have received calls from people who think they hear a bad noise from their stoves. I can hear my fans and the auger turning every few seconds as it feeds the pellets..

I get a high pitch whistling sound coming from the fire pot when the stove first lights. My guess is the draft is very good on my stove and that is aiding in making the sound. It is the air rush through the burn pot holes. It does go away once it warms in a matter of seconds.

Had the same issue with a Santa Fe. I liked the sound of pellets hitting the bottom of the pot on the Bixby. A reassuring sound at night while sleeping. Hate waking up to a cold house. The bottom feeder Harman has little noise but for the fans and they run along time after fire out.

Mine only makes a whining sound when its out a fuel. O'wait that could be the MRS cuase its usually cold by the time I get home.

Then there's a load thunk and a thud! Some tweet tweet tweets and whoow whooow as the ambulance pulls up to the house! And some woof-woof woofs too!

Reactions: mralias
One of my stoves used to make a banging noise when the slide plate started binding due to SAND in the pellets. Other than that, the only other ABnormal noise I hear is the extremely rare auger squeal, which so far has always fixed itself after a couple auger revolutions. Heard it a couple times on my newer stove. The typical Harman P series fan/air noises are what I hear. They're very similar to the sound dollar bills would make fluttering INTO my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.