Normal? stove paint....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
On steel stoves, is it normal for about 10 percent of the top of my insert's paint to to have either burned off, discolored or whatever you want to call it? It basically looks like theres just ash colored steel on top, with of course some ash from the blower on the bottom... The stove in my sig is the one I'm talking about....

I've had it for three burning seasons and I do run it pretty hard with some close calls but diligent. I turn and keep the blower on as soon as it hits 400 front temp... Damper 90 to 95 percent close for the entire burn with burn tubes lit.

Anyone else get this on their stove? I've posted before that I think my stove unnecessarily displaces the flames against the top before the v shaped flame guard in front of the exhaust resulting in the top plate flexing a bit. Could that be it too? Other 4100 owners have questioned the same. But it flexes back to normal when cold and when the blower is full bore.

Plus they provided a big ol can of stove paint so maybe that's why too...

No, that is not common. It's usually a sign of overfiring. Do you have a thermometer on the stove?

Can you post a shot of the problem?

The color of my cast iron stove has lost some of its original dark color over time . . . but it's a uniform change in shade. As BG mentioned seeing pics could tell us more as to whether this could be a problem with the stove or the way it was run.

Status
Not open for further replies.