Normal to smell smoke outside but not in house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Noslen

Dec 26, 2019
Idaho
I promise I tried searching for this before posting! :)

Is it normal to smell the smoke smell outside but not inside while burning? Or is it indicative of a problem? I don't notice it every day so perhaps its a weather thing or a sign that that particular split was less than ideal?

We burn in a Drolet escape 1800. I have a probe therm and a stovetop therm and it seems to be burning well.

Normal to smell smoke outside but not in house?

Yeah I get a whiff outside sometimes. Even with a totally clear plume depending on the weather I sometimes can still smell it. As long as it's not bothering anyone I wouldn't worry about it. If you smell it indoors that's a problem.

I smell it outside depending on the wind. Then again neighbors are going to do neighbor things. At least I don’t have to worry about them complaining about smoke smell.

Reactions: MR. GLO and Noslen
That's what the chimney is for :)

But, seriously, even if one does not have any visible exhaust, that only means there are no particles being exhausted. Gases that can have smells can still be exhausted. Combustion is never perfect, and the nose is a sensitive organ.

So, if your exhaust looks clean, then you are doing things as good as possible, imo.

Reactions: Noslen
Smelling your smoke outside is perfectly normal especially if you are on a hill and wind comes down the hill. I have this situation and can frequently smell smoke outside.

Sounds fine. I notice when I’m burning with no visible smoke I often can smell a “sweeter” smell to the air. Not sure what that is exactly, but I’m guessing I’m smelling some sort of particulate from the stove/chimney. Oh well. If you have no smoke you’re burning clean.

It can depend on the temperature inversions and winds. I drive by a place on the way to work. Some mornings I can see the smoke layer from his stove just above the road 1/2 mile away. Other times the plume is rising straight up from his chimney and disappears. Sometimes it exits, then immediately drops and lays flat on the ground.

Thats one of my favorite smells on a cold fall night, beginning of the burn season lol. but in all sincerity, yes perfectly normal, I actually kinda judge my burn by any smoke smells near my house, I can tell if my cat is running to warm, if the fire needs more air or if the wood is premium vs junk just by the smoke smell.