North Americans > Stove Chow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
For some reason my stove loves North American and hates Stove Chow. Chow does not burn well in my stove, pellets piling up, lazy flame. I have been burning Firesides all winter but my HD was out so I got some North American and Stove Chow. North American has bright white/orange flame, nice and hot. Stove Chow not so much. Pellets burning slow - maybe bad batch?

Odd - I burned some Chow this year and found them to be the cleanest burning pellet I've tried. Not the hottest, but not bad and low ash to boot. Awesome shoulder pellet for me. If they'd had them by the time I went back, I'd have bought a ton in a heartbeat at $209. The NAs are re-bagged Curran blends - my experience with them was meh.. Lazy flame sounds like an air setting.

For some reason my stove loves North American and hates Stove Chow. Chow does not burn well in my stove, pellets piling up, lazy flame. I have been burning Firesides all winter but my HD was out so I got some North American and Stove Chow. North American has bright white/orange flame, nice and hot. Stove Chow not so much. Pellets burning slow - maybe bad batch?
Please take a look at the size of the pellets. In general, are the NA shorter in length? If so, that is your answer. Maybe not a better pellet, but a higher density of pellets getting sent into the burn pot?

I have burned both, and the SC are WAY better in my stove.

Please take a look at the size of the pellets. In general, are the NA shorter in length? If so, that is your answer. Maybe not a better pellet, but a higher density of pellets getting sent into the burn pot?

I have burned both, and the SC are WAY better in my stove.

Yeah - I think the stove chows are longer

I just burned both. Chows were shorter. NA fairly short and very consistent length. Both have very good heat ( I know jmac hates NA) NA is one of the ashiest pellets ive used.

Stove Chow is my favorite pellet. Low ash good heat. $192.00 a ton at local HD

Yuck on the NA's! Ashy and low heat. They burn faily slow though.

....( I know imac hates NA) NA is one of the ashiest pellets ive used.

Hey, I wouldn't even be that concerned about a little higher ash level if they produced decent heat, but I had to increase the fuel feed 2-3 steps to get them to give good heat. Meanwhile, I was going through over 2 bags a day that way.

Nope, no NA's for this guy. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.