North Central Texas Winters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
Looks like I'm leaving the mountains of Virginia for the flatland of Texas, Denton area. Would like to know if anyone here lives around there and what kind of cord numbers you go through. I've lived there before, but never used wood for heat. We like it cool, too, so I'll be using less wood than some. Also what cords cost in the event we do not settle on a property with a supply of wood.

Thank you.

My brother is outside Waco, he is heating a 3000+sqft ranch, and his wife likes it around 80 degrees in the house near as I can tell. He goes through 2.5 cord or so, with a Country Hearth insert.

They have no wood on their property, but, at least in the Waco area, scrounging is all they need to keep up. In fact he has gotten several years ahead in the last two years. (thanks to me educating him..lol)

We live in West TX, El Paso, and are heating 3400 sq feet with a Quad 5700 step top and a Napoleon 1450 stove and use between 2.5 - 3 cords of wood. Wife likes the temp around 80. This year we have also added a seperate game room around 600sq feet and are using a Woodstock Fireview and will probably use 1/2 a cord or less on that room. We mostly just scrounge wood and have built up our stock pile that way. An average cord of mixed soft and hardwoods goes for $225.00 delivered on craigslist.

Living about 90 miles west. Run about 1.5 cord through a Napoleon 1402 insert. 2500 sq2 farmhouse. Don't know price of wood as have access to unlimited oak

Status
Not open for further replies.