North Idaho Energy Logs and Canawick Blocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
I wasn't sure where this was most appropriate so if a mod wants to move this go for it. I just wanted to let you all know my experience using both the NEILS and the larger 6lb canawick blocks. I hadn't used anything like these until this year, I burned all my supply of wood for this year and started burning next years supply a little but quit because it wasn't burning well and I felt like I was just wasting wood by trying to burn it unseasoned. Instead of paying a couple hundred dollars on some unknown, most likely unseasoned wood I figured I just spend the same amount on some pre-fab bricks. I started with the NEILS and wanted more but the store is now sold out so I bought the Canawicks.

The NEILS are the best but also more expensive, depending on how much you buy they are from 1.40 to 1.60 per 8lb log. A little tough to start but will burn for about 5 hours and keeps the stove hot for about 7 or 8 hours. They also burn a lot like wood, leaving coals behind and not much ash at all. Definitely a hell of a lot better than unseasoned wood! In my small (2 cubic foot) stove I burn 2 at a time with a few smaller pieces to get it started. The only downside to these is it's tough to find a storage spot for them, you can't leave them outside at all and they are round so it's tough finding a spot inside to stack them.

The canawick blocks come prewrapped in a plastic package of 4. They are rectangle 6lb blocks. These burn close to as long as the NEILS but don't leave any coals, more like glowing sawdust. They leave more ash than the NEILS but they are easier to store because you can stack them and they are packed. These are a little less expensive also.

Overall for a pallet of NEILS (240 logs) I paid $340 and a pallet of the Canawick (80 packages of 4 each, 320 bricks total) cost $297. I haven't used the smaller "biobricks" but I don't think they'd be as good as either of these options. I don't see myself buying this on a regular basis but they are a great backup for winters like this. Also, if you generally buy firewood each year I'd say this is a much better investment in your money.

If any of you are in SE MA or surrounding areas I bought mine from Robbins Garden Center in Oxford, great place.

You're lucky, the price for NEILs in my area is 2.50$ each or $459 per pallet. I've been looking because I will run out of wood by the end of March and need an alternative. I may have to try the canawick blocks, they sound promising. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.