north iowa firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy05

Jan 31, 2014
North Central Iowa
I will be installing a wood stove here probably within the next month (after a few other things are finished). So, I don't have any firewood ready myself. I have ash and maple trees in my grove I'm working on now, but I'm guessing it won't be ready in a month to burn lol. Of who I've found and called so far, the best I found is $100 for oak, $75 for ash per pickup load, so the cost/cord is a bit high.

Is there anyone on here from my area (Mason City Iowa area) that know of somewhere that has firewood for a good price?

Hey Farmboy, I’m near Algona. I cant say about the price per cord, but I am willing to bet that you will not find anything ready to burn with purchased wood.
Your best bet is to find some downed Ash and split into small splits to dry near the stove. On top of that, you will want to find some pallets to mix in with the Ash to have a hot burn.
You can also scrounge some from tree dumps, but that is iffy. I can talk to a buddy of mine that has 3 year old wood that he cant use to see if he is willing to sell some. He is near Wesley. That is not a long term fix, but it will get you by in pinch.
Being late to the party, you may have limited options. Next year will prove better though!
I will help as much as I can.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have a lot of dead ash and maple in my grove. Seems to be just rotting and not drying though. Tried splitting one 18" round of maple, but not having any luck. Thinking it's just to wet to split, thus burn right now. Still have to try ash yet. Any tips on splitting maple? Is it best to wait for the rounds to dry a little first?

Right now I would stick with the Ash. That will be the most dry right now. Ash is a very dry wood and if its dead standing, it should be pretty close to what you want. It should split a lot better too.
I usually slab the maple and work my way from the edges to the center. It can be hard as a rock and will never become "easy" to split, but there are ways to get around it. A wedge and sledge is also a good way to work it.
To get you through the winter, stick to the Ash and split into small pieces and dry by the stove. That should do pretty well. The Maple will be good for the future, split that this spring.
Just my opinion.
I’m doing the same thing with my wood, I’m working the Ash and waiting till spring to get the maple, osage, and oak done. Those will take longer to season and will not be ready soon.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
North Iowa Unite!
Welcome Aimee.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to work on my dead ash then. I just got a wedge and sledge today to try on that maple... didn't get very far :mad: lol. I'll just have to set the maple aside for now. Maybe if I get it piled up enough, it'll be worth renting a hydraulic splitter for a day.

Hello Aimee! Good to hear from another North Iowan!

I will be installing a wood stove here probably within the next month (after a few other things are finished). So, I don't have any firewood ready myself. I have ash and maple trees in my grove I'm working on now, but I'm guessing it won't be ready in a month to burn lol. Of who I've found and called so far, the best I found is $100 for oak, $75 for ash per pickup load, so the cost/cord is a bit high.

Is there anyone on here from my area (Mason City Iowa area) that know of somewhere that has firewood for a good price?
I have a lot of dead ash and maple in my grove. Seems to be just rotting and not drying though. Tried splitting one 18" round of maple, but not having any luck. Thinking it's just to wet to split, thus burn right now. Still have to try ash yet. Any tips on splitting maple? Is it best to wait for the rounds to dry a little first?

Welcome to the forum farmboy.

As stated already, the ash will be your best bet. If you are buying, for sure only ash as most of what you buy will all be green wood. If you have some dead ash on your place, so much the better. I would not buy.

As for splitting maple, I've always had the best luck splitting it through the heart and this goes for both hard and soft maple. \

It is not best to let the wood dry a little first. Split it right after cutting if you can. Many take the axe or maul to the woods with them and split it right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.