North-South vs East-West heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello all, I know there is alot of threads out there out N S vs E W. Well this afternoon was the first time I tried all N-S lading. WOW what a differnace in heat out put, for me anyway. I always. loaded E-W because of the size of the firebox and in my pile today I found enough pieces cut just right for the N-S loading. I was able to keep the box hot and the flue cooler then normal for me.Right now I have 575 on the stove top and 500 on the flue with a probe and the blowers running. With E-W when I pack it full the flue gets hotter the the firebox. I tried a damper when it's cold, I replace the single wall to a to double wall back pipe. replaced the fiberglass rope gasket, I tried just about anything you can think of. My wood is very dry 2-3 year oak with a little mix when she nedds a kick start. Oh by the way my stove is Lopi Liberty in the family room about 3-4 ft below grade. I have replaced the ALL the 17 windows and Doors and still have alot of drafts so air is not the problem. This afternoon is the first time I have seen this stove run like this. My draft is so strong it would suck the horns off a billy goat.
So any ideas why the stove would ack like this? :gulp: Any help would be great Thanks Fespo

I understand that with N-S loading there is better air circulation through the wood and thus burns hotter. I notice this also with my insert.

Most stoves have two things going for it that favor N/S loading. One is the air wash that directs air down the glass. N/S splits form tunnels for this air to flow down to give the fire needed air. The second is the baffle or smoke shelf. Most stoves have the opening to the flue at the front of the stove near the door so that it smokes less when the door is opened. The N/S air wash pushes the flames to the back of the stove where they turn 90 degrees and go up to the smoke shelf, take anothe 90, hit the afterburners, and then finally go up the opening in the front.

That's why I prefer to load N/S. Also you don't have to worry about logs trying to roll out of the stove. It helps to have a stove with a deep firebox. ;-)

I love N/S loading. I get far more heat output this way, plust it seems like I can add a lot more fuel at once. This also helps a LOT when you have slightly less than desirable dryness in your wood. The advantage of E-W loading is basically burn time, and depending on the performance of your draft, I could see how you might get a runaway fire loading N/S with very dry softwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.