north star gas splitter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
I inherited a north star 1170 log splitter. It was not well taken care of but I cleaned it up and am breaking in a new motor right now.

The vent cap to the hydraulic oil filler hole in the frame is gone. I'm replacing that, but should I drain the thing and start fresh? I'm sure it got some water in it at some point.

There is no drain hole in the frame so I would have to loosen a hose or fitting, and I'm not sure if I should do that. By the way the manual just says 10 weight hydraulic oil?

Any thoughts on the oil, draining it, and the best way to do it? Thanks!

I inherited a north star 1170 log splitter. It was not well taken care of but I cleaned it up and am breaking in a new motor right now.

The vent cap to the hydraulic oil filler hole in the frame is gone. I'm replacing that, but should I drain the thing and start fresh? I'm sure it got some water in it at some point.

There is no drain hole in the frame so I would have to loosen a hose or fitting, and I'm not sure if I should do that. By the way the manual just says 10 weight hydraulic oil?

Any thoughts on the oil, draining it, and the best way to do it? Thanks!

If there was no cap and the hole was left open, then yes, absolutely change the fluid. I'm not familiar with that machine but pulling the hose that's at the lowest point of the system should drain it.

If there was no cap and the hole was left open, then yes, absolutely change the fluid. I'm not familiar with that machine but pulling the hose that's at the lowest point of the system should drain it.

Ok i was worried about pulling it apart due to the high pressure, but i guess replacing a hose would not be a big deal. Thanks!

Ok i was worried about pulling it apart due to the high pressure, but i guess replacing a hose would not be a big deal. Thanks!

There shouldn't be any pressure if the machine isn't running. The larger hoses with clamps on them are return - definitely no pressure there.

Change the oil if there is any question about water contamination. 10 weight hydro juice is essentially what is referred to as "universal" and can be found at pretty much any farm/tractor supply store. If it has a filter - replace that as well. The low pressure "suction" line is usually the lowest point in the system but often isn't located at the very bottom. You may have to get a little creative on how to get the last slug of oil from the tank.

Maybe consider siphoning out the oil? There are some pretty cheap kits for this application.
One example:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200603938_200603938

I keep a dedicated turkey baster in my shop to remove old gas from small engines, etc. They work well for jobs like this. Of course you could always swipe the kitchen one.

Reactions: clemsonfor
I keep a dedicated turkey baster in my shop to remove old gas from small engines, etc. They work well for jobs like this. Of course you could always swipe the kitchen one.
20150702_114812.jpg 20150702_115200.jpg 20150702_114812.jpg 20150702_115200.jpg

Woops double pics. Anyway you can see what i did to drain it. Sprayed brake cleaner in the fill hole to drain down. Put a sock in to soak up the corner. Mesh filter all clean and looking fine.

Well splitter all set cleaned up nice. Glad I changed the hydraulic fluid it was contaminated. Broke in the motor properly and it is working great! By the way I hooked up the pump lol.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20150702_203445.jpg
    20150702_203445.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.