NORTH STAR / QUADRAFIRE 7100 HE ZC Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods Dweller

Jul 29, 2008
South Jersey Woods
New post. Still haven't nailed down which fireplace to install. I'm replacing a Heatilator ICON 100 prefab. Was down to the Napoleon High Country NZ6000 or the Extrordinair Elite 44. Had to rule out the Napoleon because it requires metal studs above the header and sheet rock up a ways too. Won't work because I have solid wood walls in my log home. So the Extrordinair ($7K installed with chimney system....yikes!) looks like the winner, but I am semi-considering both the Quadrafire 7100 and the Heat N Glo North Star. They're a step down in size (matters) but they look good and seem to be good heat producers. Are they made by the same manufacturer? They look like clones and the specs are almost the same.
Does anyone have any experience with the North Star? Have read some about the Quad, but very little about the North Star.
Thanks.

Attachments

• hearth1.jpg
    hearth1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 537
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 465
  • chase1.jpg
    chase1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 465
  • back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 460
BTW: Pics are what I have now and plan to replace. Only two seasons old. Want to leave the stone. Wife loves it. I'll have to do some stone work to fill in the voids when the new goes in. That's one reason I wanted the bigger unit. Might not look like it, but the opening is huge. 50 inch wide firebox.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I was wanting to rip out my heatilator, and replace with a free standing, but the guys here kinda made me see the light. Now I'm looking at the 7100.

Keep an eye on this ongoing saga with some 7100s.

Wow. That thread is a little scary. The Quad has such a good rep, but even if they make good on the repair, who knows how it will hold up over time.
Anyone with info on the North Star? Looks like and specs out like a clone of the 7100. I'm just about settled on the Extrodinair Elitee 44 but want to explore every option. I like the bigger fire box of the 44 but not the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.