1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Northeast Pellets Softwood

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Gary Gileau, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    Last weekend I was looking for some Maine Woods pellets as Steve is a member here and I would like to support the comunity whenever possible. At TSC they only had one damaged bag left so I passed. They did however have Northeats Pellets with a softwood sticker on some of them so I picked up a half dozen bags. I opened up one when I got home and took a whiff, if my eyes were closed I would have thought I was in a cabinet makers shop. i've put the third bag in this morning and I have found there to be very good heat, as good as but not a lot better than anything else that I have tried. BUT I can't believe how little ash in comparison to everything I have put in the stove. Funny though, the ash that I do get is black. At this point the only problem I have is that they bridge in hopper. It is strange because they are a bit longer than, say Green Supremes but really not bad at all. I measured several at around 1-1/4" but most are well under an inch in size. Last night i woke up to an "off" stove and there were plenty of pellets with a hole down through the middle and an empty auger. Other than that, I'm sitting here looking at a very consistant fire and the cement board is cleaner than when I put the first bag in and there is a puny amount of ash in the pan.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Coyote_nb_ca

Coyote_nb_ca New Member

Loc:
    Carlingford NB Canada
    you are a lucky ba.... :)

TSC Presque Isle ME out off stuck NE pellets over 3 weeks now ... just 23mils away from the NE mill :(
  3. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    Do you know if they are all softwoods? Some bags don't have a sticker on them. I think I'll go back tomorrow and pick up a few more bags without the sticker and try them. At this point I really like what I've seen
  4. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    The fact that they are made from 100% Recycled Wood has me leery of burning them. I can't get the picture of demolition material being made into pellets. There are other brands out there made from demo and the pellets are loaded with contaminants.
  5. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    Recycled doesn't mean demolition materials, sawdust, woodchips etc falls into the recycled catagory. I've been in construction my whole life and demolition rubble doesn't smell like this. For instance, I read somewhere that Inferno's were made from recycled pallets (I am not sure if that is a fact) but when you smell them it was obvious to me that the raw materials were not top quality. Although I recently read a post that they were using better raw materials. These pellets have a nice "fresh" smell. Like I said before, a cabinet maker shop. My instincts tell me that at least this batch came from a good source.
  6. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    You're right. Making pellets out of sawdust is recycling. Chips I'm not so sure about unless they are a byproduct of another process. I'm just saying I can't get the demo thing out of my head. Plus I can buy MWP softwood cheaper.
  7. nikeseer

nikeseer Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    So did you pick up a few more bags? I just bought 2 to try in my cab50. I'm burning MWP blend 65/35 and was wondering if these will put out more heat than them. Bought them at my local TSC and she opened a bag because mine don't say softwood but they are much lighter than my MWP. We shall see. My Green Supreme clogged my auger and my MWP have had a lot of sawdust and flakes.. I've had to screen them after they really blocked my auger.
  8. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    As it turns out the softwoods were delivered by mistake. Bummer!! The hardwoods are no where near as good. I had between 50* and 75* lower temps on the Rutland thermometer. Try them in your stove and let me know, I'm curious. Till now Main Woods are my overall favorite. I'm still experimenting so maybe by the end of winter I'll know what I want next year.
  9. jieba

jieba Member

Loc:
    Southeast, Mass.
    Gary, some infernos are made from a local truss company. At least that is what i've been told. I have tried Infernos in my Harman p38 and i did not like them.
  10. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT

I have burned Infernos and honestly I don't think they're as bad as people make them out to be. But I've burned a ton and a half of cherry pits this year so I guess anything is an upgrade.;lol
  11. nikeseer

nikeseer Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Hi again, They burned nice but really really fast. And feed was low. Went through one bag in 15 hours. My MWP blend I get 22 hours on one bag running 24/7 on medium with low feed. They do put out more heat I think but burns way too fast for me.
  12. Bob Sorjanen

Bob Sorjanen Member

Loc:
    Edgecomb Maine
    Hi I am burning some Northeast pellets to try, they aren't bad not as hot as the Cubex. I actually think I will go and get some more of them, the weather is going to be warmer so will burn the Northeast. Rocky told me they were 80/20 blend 80 softwood.
  13. nikeseer

nikeseer Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    I like them but just burn too quick for me. Mild here in ct for the next couple of days. So will use fireplace also. Have a great grate that puts mega heat in the house. We use that on the mild days. Grate Wall of Fire great! Love it.
  14. Northeast Pellets

Northeast Pellets New Member

Loc:
    Ashland, ME
    You can make a request at TSC as the manager does get say in what brands they carry.
    mattbell likes this.
  15. mattbell

mattbell Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Subsailer, As you can see, our bag has been changed to eliminate any confusion as to what we are using for wood. We purchase the best materials possible from local mills. Our sawdust, shavings and chips are all clean and bark-free. We DO NOT use demolition debris. The wording "recycled" has been removed as it was originally used to indicate that we are using mill residues not processing round wood for the sole purpose of pelleting. We had also added a the #4 plastic recycle logo to our bags as we are working with local plastic handlers to start a pellet bag program.
    sinnian likes this.
  16. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Point taken.
  17. doghouse

doghouse Member

Loc:
    maine

So Matt, are your pellets hardwood, softwood or some blend?
  18. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    TSC in Enfield now has these and some other brand from missouri
  19. Coyote_nb_ca

Coyote_nb_ca New Member

Loc:
    Carlingford NB Canada
    pick up 2 tonns this year direct at the mill
    the bags was still warm when we unload the trailer
    the man in the office say it's 80/20 mix .. 80%softwood
    after ca 20 bags we see they have still the prob with long pellets 1 1/2 to over 2inch
    the eco 45 and the englander have no probs with them
    they burn very hot
    both stoves running on the loest seting and we must readjust the england to a lower feeder rate.

buy 2 tonns more from the wal mart .. 10$ less as on the mill by the tonn and only the half way.

looking forward to a warm winter inside
    UMainah likes this.
  20. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Was using FSU, woke up 3am, temp was 68, stove almost out, added these and woke up at 6am and it was 65, there long and there def softwood but not as hot as the FSU, ohh well tried 1 bag....next!
  21. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    try a dry lube such as graphite...CAUTION do not apply while stove is running!
  22. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I had the good fortune to speak with an ex employee of Inferno. He told me that the company is owned by a Construction company and uses demolition materials. He also said they are not that fussy about separating wood from other debris. I will never personally try a bag.
  23. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    This is what I was referring to when I cautioned about the "Recycled" label on the Northeast bags last year. Matt Bell, the owner of the company took exception to my comments. I was in Presque Isle this summer and Wal Mart had some at a decent price, so I picked up 5 bags to try, although I haven't done so yet.
  24. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
  25. Coyote_nb_ca

Coyote_nb_ca New Member

Loc:
    Carlingford NB Canada
    hmm PI was for you a long way from home